Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unplugged Network Cable

• Please log in to reply

John Rhys

John Rhys

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hullo

I want to connect my Work Tablet PC ,XP, to my Home PC, also XP. I have connected them with an ethernet cable. The Local Area Connection on both say that their status is "Network cable unplugged, Firewalled". I have tried 2 new ethernet cables.

Both PCs are connected wirelessly to a BT home hub and can access the Internet.

Is it possible for me to connect the 2 computers with the ethernet cable so that I can access the hard drive of my Home computer on my Work computer?

John Rhys

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Home Hub is effectively a router. You should be able to search for the other computer and it should show up without any need for any other wiring if both are connected to the same router wired or wireless.

Edited by Neil Jones, 22 June 2008 - 04:47 PM.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Correct. The the computers connected to the hub will "see" each other. If they can access the Internet through the hub, they should connect with each other as well. Just make sure that you have file sharing turned on and the computers belong to the same workgroup.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If you wish to use ethernet and not the router you have to have a crossover ethernet cable.
Cheers
Peterm