Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Putting HDs in new computer does not work

• Please log in to reply

chat_patta

chat_patta

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Gurus: :)

Put the old hard disks in the new computer, at boot after selection of safe mode/normal mode, it loads up drivers and then gives :) error message:
"Check for viruses, remove the newly installed drives or hard disk controllers. Error 0x00000078 (0xF78E0528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

Particulars of both old and the new systems:

OLD
BIOS: COMPAQ - 20020913 686P2 v3.14 Dt. 09/13/02
CPU: Intel Pentium III, Code name Coppermine, Clock 866.67

NEW
Desktop PC HP Pavillion 500
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies Ver. AM37308 Dt: 12/16/2002
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+ Freq 1998.38MHz

Hard Disk Drives: WDC WD205AA and Maxtor 6Y080P0

I can access the drives through Puppy Linux, the drives are fine and the data in them is accesible fine too. I am a novice in Linux. I do have the windows installation CD, but i am afraid that I may destroy my data :) (lot of SWs installed and configured). Resetting the new computer BIOS is also an option :) .....which i am leaving upto you guys to guide me.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards;

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Under XP you cannot put one drive with Windows on it into another machine and expect it to work; it'll want to see the old hardware otherwise it'll fall over like this.

You need to do a Windows Repair from the XP CD - this doesn't affect data but you would need to reapply the Windows Security Updates from Windows Update afterwards. See the sticky at the top of this forum.