Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Formatting" DVD -RW

• Please log in to reply

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I thought to use a DVD -RW to make temporary DVDs of TV programs to play on my DVD player/TV.

Having made one I went to erase it so as to use the disc again - but neither my computer nor the burning software (RecordNow) will recognise the disc and the program won't erase the old files.

Is there a way of (a) seeing the files and (b) erasing the disc so as to re-use it?

WXP SP3, 3.2GHz, 2.5 GB RAM using VideoReDo for editing, TMPGEnc DVD Author2 and, attempting to erase the old contents, RecordNow.

TIA

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Both CD-RW's and DVD-RW's need to be formatted PRIOR to the first use otherwise, they are nothing more than simple CD/DVD-r"s.

So, if you recorded something on the DVD before you formatted it, that DVD is now just a plain old DVD-R.

Murray

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Howdy:

Both CD-RW's and DVD-RW's need to be formatted PRIOR to the first use otherwise, they are nothing more than simple CD/DVD-r"s.

So, if you recorded something on the DVD before you formatted it, that DVD is now just a plain old DVD-R.

Murray

Thank you very much for that - I didn't know it.

I have used DVD -RWs for years as rotating back-ups for data, with three being usesd successively in turn. I place the data on them with RecordNow, and have never had a problem with re-recording so I would have to assume that RecordNow does this formatting before it burns? And that my DVD authoring program doesn't so, as you say, converts the RWs into plain vanilla?

I will try taking one of my data backups out of service and putting some Video TS folders onto it.

Thanks again.

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Well, it worked as advertised!

I took a new DVD-RW and put some data files on it using Sonic RecordNow, then erased them and authored a .mpeg into DVD format on it. I then erased that and put another on, and it worked.

Only one question: if I put a new and unused DVD-RW into my drive and selected "Erase" on RecordNow, would the DVD become formatted?