Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System freezing could be a hardware problem?

• Please log in to reply

Raliant

Raliant

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just finished my new rig (AMD Athlon 64 X2 Brisbane, nVidia 8600GT (BioStar) 512MB, ASUS M2N-SLI, to name the major parts.) and every so often, about fifteen to twenty minutes into a game, the entire system freezes up. Using speed fan, I've the absolute highest VCore temp at 70C, so I don't think it's an overheating problem (although, it is located right above a super hot North Bridge heatsink...). Could there be anything hardware related causing this? Thanks!

(Oh, I've also tried moving the vid card to the other PCI E x16 slot, but I get a Windows boot error, then repeated "Boot Device Failures.")

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
North Bridges shouldn't be "super hot" - warm maybe, but definitely not "super hot".
You might try putting another fan in to pull hot air out to try and help the temperatures a bit under load.

Raliant

Raliant

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It seems to be the video card. I've tried using an old PCI card, and it works fine, albeit gives me sucky graphics. I've RMA'd a replacment. If that one doesn't work, I'll get a different card (the reviews were so-so on this one, but the price was good, so I went for it).

As for the north bridge, it wasn't super hot, I just meant it was warm. Compared to everything else in the case, the north bridge is the hottest portion according to SpeedFan, but well within operational temperatures.