Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Proxy?

• Please log in to reply

Cris21

Cris21

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I am a member on a certain website and was told I used a proxy to login. I have no idea what it is, but I do not want my account to be blocked so here is some of the information they gave me about it if It could be of any help.

Could you please refrain from logging in using a proxy in the future? We have made a note to your file for future references. I will give you the login information from the proxy login. Hopefully this will help you find out what had happened when you did login with the proxy:

2008-06-17 00:34:28 ip 216.226.25.102 and isp Mediadefender

Unfortunately, if you do login using a proxy again, we will have to block your account permanently

If anyone has any information that would help me keep this from happening again it would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The problem probably lies with Mediadefender:

MediaDefender is a company that offers services designed to prevent alleged copyright infringement using peer-to-peer distribution. They have been controversial because of their use of unusual tactics such as flooding peer-to-peer networks with decoy files that tie up users' computers and bandwidth.[1] MediaDefender is based in Los Angeles, California in the United States, and its chief executive is Randy Saaf. As of March 2007, the company has approximately 60 employees,[2] and uses 2,000 servers hosted in California with contracts for 9 Gb/s of bandwidth.[2]

These types of organizations are being hired to attempt to stymie peer-to-peer (P2P) traders through a variety of methods including posting fake files online, recording individuals who contribute copyrighted material, but also marketing to individuals using P2P networks.[3] Clients include Universal Pictures, 20th Century Fox, Virgin Records, HBO, Paramount Pictures, and BMG. On August 1, 2005, the digital media entertainment company ARTISTdirect announced that it had acquired MediaDefender for $42.5 million in cash.

In May 2008, MediaDefender was publicly accused of being the source of a distributed-denial-of-service attack on Revision3. Jim Louderback, Revision3 CEO charged that these attacks violated the Economic Espionage Act and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. As of May 2008, the Federal Bureau of Investigations was investigating the incident.[4]

Source

Related:

Revision3 attack traced to anti-piracy company MediaDefender
MediaDefender: Banned And Blocked!

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 23 June 2008 - 04:29 PM.

Cris21

Cris21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank You so much. My husband uses the computer all of the time and I am not sure if he could have done anything, but could there be something on my computer because of this, or possibly a website I visited or something?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If your ISP is Mediadefender, and I'm trying to figure out if it is, your connection to the Internet may be through a proxy site. I tried the ip 216.226.25.102 and got this:

Initiating server query ...
Looking up the domain name for IP: 216.226.25.102
The domain name for the IP address is: ip-216-226-25-102.formysite.com
Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
No response was received from the machine and port at that IP. The machine may be offline or the connection port may be stealthed.
Query complete.

I would check or ask about your connection setup to the Internet.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 23 June 2008 - 05:06 PM.

Cris21

Cris21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I am not too smart when it comes to all of this. It is a little confusing to me, but My ISP is Fullnet Communications in Oklahoma City If this would be of any help.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry for getting back so late. I have no idea why you are logging in via a proxy since you have a proper ISP. Usually using a proxy is to keep yourself hidden while surfing the Internet or to log into sites that have your ISP blocked for some reason. It does have some limited security for you.

If you use Internet Explore, you can check this page on how to set up one and go through the steps to see if IE is set up for a proxy.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 30 June 2008 - 09:10 PM.