Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs closing randomly

• Please log in to reply

D3_Kamikaze

D3_Kamikaze

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Note: I originally posted this in the 'games' subforum, but I've started to experience the phenomenon with more than just games. Firefox randomly closed on me just now, no error message, nothing, just closed. I'm actually really confused now, maybe this isn't even a hardware issue as I originally thought..

Hey everyone, I just got through building my new rig and installed a few games I had lying around. The problem is, after a random amount of time playing, each one of these games exits to the desktop without so much as an error message. Nothing. Just playing, then I'm at the desktop. Very strange. My specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz
Mobo: Asus P5Q3 Deluxe
RAM: 2gb 7-7-7 OCZ DDR3 (waiting for another 2gb from store- they only had one kit in stock, and I forget the specifics, but whatever)
GPUs: 2x ATi Radeon HD4850s
HDD: WD VelociRaptor 300Gig 10k rpm
PSU: 1,000 watt modular PSU, don't remember the brand off the top of my head, but it's more than enough to power it.

The whole thing is in a huge case with more fans than I care to count, with a gigantic aftermarket active cooler on the CPU. Both HD4850s are running at around 80° C under load, which from some limited research seems to be perfectly normal, and the CPU never even goes above 45° C. This seems to rule out the possibility of an overheating problem...

The games that have crashed for me so far are Quake 4, Doom 3 and FEAR. None of these are super recent, and I'm running them all at maxed settings with 4x AA. Quake 4 and Doom 3 use the same engine, so I thought it might be specific to the software, but FEAR has also now begun exhibiting the same behavior. For a while before this happened I got VPU recover errors (basically telling me CCC had restarted my GPU because it had frozen) which no longer occur, so it -looks- like a video card problem. What it might be though, I do not know.

I've just tried updating my direct X to the latest from M$, the version I was using was from the installer from FEAR, which is a little old. I'll let you know how this goes, and if it helps at all. Video drivers are the latest (Well, the ONLY ones available for this card.. you can't even download them from ATi's site yet -_-.)

I'm hoping that, if it's not the DX issue I'm currently testing, it's just the fact that these cards are only about a week into their release, and ATi will come out with some sort of stability fix sometime soon. I'd appreciate it if anyone here (I know you guys know more about this stuff than I do, come on!) had any ideas, that they made them heard.

Thanks!

Chris

Advertisements

xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
Have you check the event log

To open Event Viewer, follow these steps:

Click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools and then Event Viewer

check under applications for any errors

Edited by xxdanielxx, 24 June 2008 - 11:56 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
Long shot
go to the display properties >Settings tab>Advanced tab >troubleshoot tab do you have an option on this tab for hardware acceleration ? if yes lower the setting click ok.
Any difference.
Cheers
Peterm

D3_Kamikaze

D3_Kamikaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Well, I checked the event log, it seems "Atim2tag" gets an error every time it happens. Apparently this type of problem isn't all THAT uncommon with the beta Catalyst 8.6 drivers I'm running, but I can't rollback to the stable 8.5 because they don't support my card (HD4850) >_<. ATi released a hotfix that seems to be -helping-, although I still appear to be having a few issues. I guess all I can really do is wait until the drivers reach their final release o_O.

xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
I was checking and yes alot of people seem to have this problem but they say that uninstalling the game then reinstall seems to fix the problem

D3_Kamikaze

D3_Kamikaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I was checking and yes alot of people seem to have this problem but they say that uninstalling the game then reinstall seems to fix the problem

You realize this is happening with all the games I have installed, right? >_<. That won't help.

xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
yes i noted that

D3_Kamikaze

D3_Kamikaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Anyway, I ran memtest86 overnight and came up with 584 errors on the 2gb I have in there now. Timings and voltages are set right in the bios, so I guess the ram is just faulty. : |.

The retarded thing about this is that I bought two 2gb DDR3 kits. One of them was so dead the computer wouldn't even post with it in, and I returned it the day after I got it. So apparently I somehow managed to buy two bad kits of ram : |.

D3_Kamikaze

D3_Kamikaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yeah, it definitely could =P. Although I don't really want to resort to this, I've decided that I'm going to bring the whole computer into the store I bought the parts in, and ask them to run their own diagnostics on it. They probably won't come up with anything I haven't already, but if they find something isn't working at least they're obligated to replace it. And at the same time I can order some new ram =P. Some nicer stuff, too. I'm thinking one of corsair's nice models above 1600MHz, in a 2x2gig kit this time. Leaves room for expansion later on =P.

Edited by D3_Kamikaze, 26 June 2008 - 11:18 AM.