Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hunting for a Program

• Please log in to reply

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Hey guys,

I am in need of a program that does this. On a schedule, burn a set of backup folders to DVD-RW's for offsite storage. I am currently using Nero BackItUp. The problem is it puts the backup data into a proprietary format on the DVD's so I can't double check the information on the DVD's from time to time. Here's our situation:

We have 5 Desktops (Win XP Pro Sp2) networked. I have a nifty little program that runs in the evening daily to backup selected folders from each desktop to one folder on my machine. The folder on my machine is ~15 GB. I then have Nero BackItUp run on Friday's to burn this folder on my machine to a set of DVD's. This works fine, but I can't verify the DVD's contents after they are burned. (i.e. When I browse a newly burned DVD, it shows a set of files that are proprietary format.)

I would prefer freeware, but am willing to donate to someone for shareware. If the program could run from command line that's a plus but not required. Also, I'm sure someone is gonna say something about just get an external HD or two and backup to those and take them off site... At this point this is not an option as buying new external HD's is not in our budget.

Any ideas would be great.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Don't have a specific solution to your issue, but rather a change in process. On our main page http://geekstogo.com/ we have a series of backup articles posted. take a look at this one: http://www.geekstogo...ckup-solutions/

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
starjax,
thanks for the reply. I'm aware of the backup series on the main page. And I'm keepin up to date with it. However, our system fits our needs/budget at this point. which for us is: backing up to a single folder, then burn that folder over a series of DVD's. The problem is the program we use to burn the DVD (Nero BackItUp), puts it in a proprietary format that I'm unable to just pop in to a random computer and browse. That's really the problem.

Unfortunately, until I can get a larger budget for this, we are going to have to do it this way. So I'm basically only looking for a burning program that won't put my data in a proprietary format.

That being said, I am watching the backup series like a hawk so I can always make our system better.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
KISS keep it simple.

I have a nifty little program that runs in the evening daily to backup selected folders from each desktop to one folder on my machine. The folder on my machine is ~15 GB. I then have Nero BackItUp run on Friday's to burn this folder on my machine to a set of DVD's.

Why are you using the Nero backitup to burn the files to DVD?
The files have already been copied to a folder, Now all you have to do is burn them to a disc as data files.
Right click the folder and select send to. then send them to your DVD burner.
If the nero program still tries to burn the disc you will have to uninstall it or change the default settings.
By burning the folder in data file format any Windows computer should be able to read the folder/files.

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Why are you using the Nero backitup to burn the files to DVD?

Short answer is efficiency. If I use the Send to method, windows has to copy the entire 15+GB to a temp folder for burning. This takes hours...and I haven't even burned any discs yet. When I use Nero BackItUp, I can be done with the entire DVD burn set in 4 hours.

With BackItUp I can make sure that all of the files are accounted for in the DVD backup. If I just use the Send to method, Windows doesn't realize that 15+GB can't fit on one DVD, so it stops the DVD burn with a message similar to "your media is full, try another media that is larger." It doesn't try to split the data into 4.7GB chunks for the DVD-R's. Once Nero fills a DVD, it spits it out and says "Ok, done with that one, gimme another to burn to" until it gets to the end of the 15+GB folder.

Update: I may have convinced "the powers that be" to invest in some external HD's finally yesterday. So my life just got simple again! It's amazing what a year of "We need to change the way we backup our data" can accomplish... :)

Though I would be interested if someone has another option for me in this issue. I am one of maybe 2 computer techs in my county. I get calls all the time "Can I save my great-grandkids' pictures somewhere safe off my computer?" For them, the option of buying $100 HD's isn't really an option.

As always, lookin forward to what you guys/gals recommend.

Edited by jester620, 10 July 2008 - 07:58 AM.