Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton GoBack won't go away!

• Please log in to reply

flutter

flutter

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,
I went away for vacation for a week, and when I came back, turned on my computer, I noticed that updates were being downloaded for Norton GoBack. As soon as I hit my icon for Internet Explorer, GoBack took over, said that my system had become unstable, and it needed to shut it down. Long story short, I ended up in this ridiculous loop with GoBack not allowing me to do anything.

A guy I work with had me do some stuff (PLEASE forgive my lack of knowledge here) by hitting F12, using some disk he gave me and attempting to uninstall GoBack. That didn't work. He also had me use my XP disk and attempt repair, but after following his instructions, "R" was not one of the options, which he said may happen.

Bottom line is that I can't do anything, and think I need to uninstall GoBack, but can't.

HELP!!!! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Norton Goback by design will not provide any access to any ability to repair Windows from the CD.
In serious situations where Norton Goback is, for want of a better verb, totally screwed, you may not be able to get any data off the drive at all even on another computer. A complete wipe and rebuild to get shot of Goback (and all your data) would be the only option in this scenario.

When loading the computer you should get a progress bar that allows you to press Space and from there you can disable GoBack to get back into Windows. In theory, anyway.

Failing that... http://service1.syma...c..._nam&seg=ag should be of interest to you.

Edited by Neil Jones, 25 June 2008 - 02:48 PM.

flutter

flutter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
The link that you provided is that I did from my friend at work...the disk he gave me. It didn't work. Nothing. Nada. Zip. PLEASE don't tell me that I may lose everything on my drive. I have a home business and I'll be...um...screwed. :)

Any other options?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why are you wanting to press R when you boot off the Goback Removal CD? There is no such option.
It tells you on the Symantec page to press the number 1 key on the menu. You may also need to reboot and run with Option 2 as well.

Because of the changes that GoBack makes to the system its not a program I would recommend to anybody. There's leaving too much to chance really because if Goback goes wrong, there's not really much you can do about it because it is the problem itself. It's kind of like saying your car doesn't go because its out of petrol, but you can't go and get any more petrol because the car's out of petrol.

One more thing you can try:

If you still see the GoBack screen at computer startupm where it prompts to press Space Bar to configure GoBack. If yes then perform the steps below:

-- Turn off the computer.

-- Restart the computer, and then immediately press and hold down the Ctrl+Alt+G keys.

Note that some computers require that you hold down the Ctrl+Alt keys while rapidly tapping the G key.

-- A message will appear that gives you the option to force the removal of GoBack from the master boot record. Press F to force the removal of GoBack from the master boot record.

If Ctrl+Alt+G keys fails in first time then try this again for three or four times till get the prompt to remove GoBack from the master boot record.

-- Restart the computer.

After performing the above step you should be able to start Windows normally and your first priority is to go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and get rid of GoBack.

flutter

flutter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hey,
The "pressing R" thing was for trying to boot from my Windows disk. Sorry...I'm SOOOO not techy.

BUT...You rock!! :) That worked. I've bombed GoBack into nothingness and things work.

One more question if I may...since the MANY attempts to boot from my diskette, do I now have multiple versions of something on my computer? It seems to be running real slow. But at least it's running. I LOVE YOU!!! :)

jacker40

jacker40

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Ctrl+Alt+G isn't working for my Presario V2000. Please help!!!

The loop just continues after pressing 'F' to unhook goback and 'any other key' to restart.

-In need of help.

Edited by jacker40, 08 December 2008 - 12:36 AM.