Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Fake Printer Driver To Make .txt Files.

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

Many years ago, I remember having the option on my PC to print to a .txt file. This is how it worked. I could be in a program, we'll say Excel, and click "File" and then "Print". From the list of printers, I could select a special printer that was installed to create .txt files. After selecting the printer and clicking "Print", a box would appear asking you where to store the file. I would key in a path and click "OK". Then, the printout would go not to a physical printer, but to a .txt file on my HD from the location I chose.

I can't remember if that was a feature that came with the printer I had at the time or if I had to install this special printer on the side, but I KNOW for sure I use to have this capability.

Now I'm looking to do this same type of thing again, but this time I'm doing it for work.

A guy here prints a list of security reports from a Morse Watchman keybox. The reports go to the auditing department where the logs are reviewed. They are looking for a way to import the names on the report into an Excel spreadsheet so they can have Excel compare the list of names to a list of current employees. We're trying to make sure that the people removing keys from the lock box are still currently employed with us. Since the lockbox isn't on our network, the security guy can't just have the program e-mail them the report (a feature with the program). In addition, this database program will not export data to any other format.

If I can get the printer driver to create a .txt file, the security guy could pull that off the lockbox PC with a thumbstick, move it to his PC and e-mail it to auditing. They, in turn, could import the data into Excel.

Does anyone know if such a driver still exists or any other method I might pull this off?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It wasn't a text file, it was an option to print to a file and it's still available in the programs you use.
The idea was you save to a file, take the file to a computer with a printer and print it off there without a need to have the program you used to make the file.
In this day and age printers have never been cheaper so its kind of fell into disuse since pretty much everybody and his dog has their own printer and nobody really uses the print to file feature any more - the technique doesn't work with USB printers.

Edited by Neil Jones, 25 June 2008 - 04:42 PM.

Grumpey

Grumpey

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Add a new local printer
Use Existing Port: FILE: (Print to File)
For the printer use:
Printers Generic / Text Only

It didn't like printing the test page when I installed it, but worked fine after that.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Thank you both for replying.

Grumpey...I'll give this a try at work tomorrow. It sounds like you have solved my problem.

Thanks,

Magus