Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop will not fit monitor screen

• Please log in to reply

ZoneIII

ZoneIII

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have a Samsung 216BW monitor hooked to the digital port of my XP SP3 machine. Samsung just replaced the monitor for a problem unrelated to the problem I am having now. I just hooked up the new monitor today. However, my NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GS graphics card went bad last week and I replaced that too. (The cooling fan burned out. The new version of the same card that I now have has a redesigned fan.) The reason I mention that is that I am not sure whether the problem I am having started last week when I replaced the graphics card or today when I replaced the monitor. I might not have noticed it after installing the new graphics card. Anyway, my desktop image doesn't fit the monitor now. It is clipped off slightly around all edges. (I did a screen-shot of this page just now to post here but the screen-shot looks as it is supposed to look and it is not clipped. ) When the machine first boots up when I believe it is still in SafeMode, the edges are clipped then too.

Here's what I did to try to fix the problem so far: I made sure both my graphics card driver and my monitor driver are current. I checked the display settings and the resolution is set to the proper 1680x1050 pixels. I went through the various settings on the monitor itself by using the buttons on the monitor. There are adjustments to move the display around but I am locked out of them - possibly because I'm hooked up to a digital port(?) - but they wouldn't help anyway because the problem is not one of the display being un-centered. It is cut off on all four edges evenly. I also did a System Restore but that didn't fix the problem. I also checked my display adapter and monitor in Device Manager and they show up as having no problems.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone here might have.

Thanks

Edited by ZoneIII, 25 June 2008 - 08:14 PM.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

What you are describing is not a windows problem but that the monitor is not adjusted properly. It is that the boarder is "off" the monitor and that you need to shrink the picture.
Here is link to a picture of the buttons on the bottom right corner of the monitor.

First try and hit the auto button and see if it fixes the problem.

If not press the menu and page through it and see if you can adjust the width and height.

Edited by vally, 26 June 2008 - 12:08 AM.

ZoneIII

ZoneIII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks. Yes, I knew it wasn't a windows problem. As I mentioned, I wasn't sure if started when I installed a new graphics card last week or when I replaced my monitor the day before yesterday. However, I now know that it started when I replace the monitor because my wife has told me that she noticed it immediately after I got the new monitor.

Also, as I mentioned in my original post, the buttons on the monitor have no effect. When I press the Auto button, a box comes up with a message that says "Auto Adjustment not available." In fact, many of the adjustments that can be done with monitor buttons are not available. That's how my original monitor was. It may be that some adjustments can't be done with a digital connection or maybe something else has to be set differently but I can't find a way to change that. I can get to the menu that allows me to move the image around but, as I said, that's not the problem. The image is centered properly. It is just too big for the monitor so it's clipped evenly on all four sides. In any case, the adjustment to move it the image is also "not available" but it wouldn't help me anyway. I don't need to move it up or down, etc. I need to shrink the image so it fits on my monitor screen. To give you and idea of how much is cut off now, half of the back arrow in IE is cut off and the letter "F" in "File" is cut off. The scroll bar is now only showing a sliver, etc. Of course, I could just make the scroll bar larger but that doesn't fix the problem. The close down "X" in the upper-right corner is half clipped off as is the part of the "Start" button in the lower-left corner, etc.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
It sounds like your monitor is not working right. The auto set button is suppose to fit the view to the monitor and is not working at all.
If I understand correctly this is a replacement because the old one had a different problem. Contact who ever sold you the monitor I think it needs to be changed again.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Hopefully you did install the software that comes with the Samsung monitor? While most of the time it is not necessary, by installing the software you can have adjustments you did not have before.

http://www.samsung.c...p;disp_nm=216BW

SRX660