Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't even get BIOS to show

• Please log in to reply

prowsepap

prowsepap

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My daughter aquired a HP Pavilion 4535 with Windows ME and no CD's whatsoever, nothing to boot it up with.

I messed with it for about an hour trying to sign on to AOL with my account with the AOL program that was already installed on computer, that didn't work. I then installed AOL from a CD I have and still couldn't get it to work, just never could get it to dial AOL to get the access numbers. Finally came to the conclusion that it needs a new modem although Device Manager said it was working fine, but that has happened to me before with another compter.

There was nothing wrong with the computer, everything else was working fine. I was in great shape.

In the meantime while waiting to get another modem her 17 year old son and 33 year old cousin have been messing with the computer and I think they probably screwed something up in the BIOS setup area. Now when you power up the computer nothing happens. I can hear the fan and I think I can hear the drive. The cd tray will open and cd lights flicker when doing so. The keyboard lights don't even flicker, that is until I read another post on these board that said to unplug from wall hit power switch, then plug back in and start. When I do that the keyboard light do flick on and then go off in a matter of about 1/20th of a second, they don't stay on long enough for me to do the F1 key thing.

I have access to the web with this XL machine I'm on now if there is something I need to download..

Sorry for the long post, I would be thankful for any help you can offer..

John..

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is this a notebook or a desktop...what did 17-year-old son and 33-year-old cousin do...surely they can give you some inkling...

prowsepap

prowsepap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

is this a notebook or a desktop...what did 17-year-old son and 33-year-old cousin do...surely they can give you some inkling...

View Post

This is a desktop computer we a talking about here.
The only answers I can get from my two younsters is the standard Homer Simpson reply, D'oh! They both deny doing anything but that's par for the course for them..

I tried changing keyboard and monitor with known working ones to no avail. I'm still having the same problems with it and try to start it four of five times a day just hoping some miracle will happen.

My intent is if and when I get it to show BIOS to just reset them to default.

John..

Edited by prowsepap, 30 April 2005 - 03:01 PM.

prowsepap

prowsepap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I finally got the computer to display the BIOS Setup and I went directly the Exit screen and selected "Load Setup Defaults" and exited saving changes and then hit "Enter" to exit setup and the computer just went to a blank screen again and did nothing else.

I spent about an hour trying to get it to come back on (connecting and unconnecting, plugging in power unplugging and plugging again and again and it finally came on again displaying the following on the screen...

Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0.1
Copyright 1985-1998 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All Right Reserved

Copyright 1999 by Hewett Packard Inc.
ERROR
Resource Conflict - PCI on Motherboard
Bus: 01, Device: 1B, Function: 00
Bus: 01, Device: 1C, Function: 00
Bus: 01, Device: 1D, Function: 00
Bus: 01, Device: 1E, Function: 00
Bus: 01, Device: 1F, Function: 00

Press <F1> to Setup <F2> to Resume

The computer still has the above screen on it, I unplugged the keyboard and the mouse and brought them upstairs with me and told everyone to leave it alone until I brought the keyboard and mouse back down...

What should be my next step...

Thank you
John..

PS: The first time the computer came on it didn't have this information on the screen it just came on with the BIOS setup screen.