Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent Black screen mystery

• Please log in to reply

gerhard7

gerhard7

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
For no apparent reason my laptop screen goes black (whether on battery or mains power). When I close the lid so that it almost shuts and open it up again the screen reappears. It can stay o.k for 10 seconds or even an hour before it happens again. Sometimes it happens so frequently that I have to switch off. If I boot it up again the problem normally persists. If I leave it switched off for a few hours it normally behaves o.k for a while.
I have wiped the harddrive and re-installed everything, but to no avail. I have checked the power settings and there seems to be no problem there.
This is mind boggling.

ANY IDEAS ?

Advertisements

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
;) This is a shot in the dark.

Maybe your laptop is actually shutting down, rather than just the screen going blank?

If that's the case, there may be a multitude of reasons, e.g. the cpu fan isn't working properly or at all and the internal temperature of your laptop gets too hot and so it shuts down?

Other possible cause - driver issues? Do you have the correct driver installed for your monitor - check device manager, go to the laptop vendor web sites - see if there are updates. Contact them anyway, most mainstream vendors offer great tech support even when product is outside of warranty. Why not? They should want to ensure your next laptop is one of theirs!

Just a few suggestions :tazz:

DaveB - LinuxWannabee