Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP SP 2 Freezes at Title Screen

• Please log in to reply

random2361

random2361

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Bit of virus and spyware trouble so I downloaded AVG, Ad-Aware and for a couple days did nothing but alot of anal scanning and I also have CCleaner with cleaning the crap out and fixing the registries. While this entire process was commencing I noticed in the information bar that the notification that Window's Update was down. I would go through the notification and turn Update back on, but then about 5 min. later it would go back under and somestimes I couldn't even turn Update back on. The few times that I could turn Update on I tried Windows Update and tried to download updates (can't really remember everything but I know definately one was XP SP 3). I went through Windows Update and got windows defender and also the pc scanner. Did the scanner and also downloaded the Windows Scanner 90-day free trial. I installed and it requested that I restart the comp. I clicked no so that I could finish my scanning and I restarted my comp. It then brought me to the title screen where the XP logo is presented and the bar with the alternating blue light is traveling through the rectangle and it will freeze about halfway through. I have tried to reboot with last known settings, another routine boot and even in safe mode but it will keep freezing on me. Can anyone help me here?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you can't even boot into safe mode a repair is necessary...for the lowdown go here...