Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broadband connection

• Please log in to reply

coubury

coubury

• Pip
  • 4 posts
If your broadband connection is disconnected, can you still pick up your router with your wireless card?

It appears by connection is disconnected well at least thats what it says in my router configuration page, i cant view any web page expect that.
but my wirless card says its connected at 54 m/bs

Advertisements

sl962

sl962

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Your "Broadband connection" is what the router uses to connect to the internet. If it's disconnected you can't get to the net. Your wireless card is simply connecting to the router. If you had more than one computer connected to the router you would be able to see those computers but not the internet.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Broadband Connection (PPPoE) is like a dial up connection (User Name and Password). Most ISP's quit using them natively (on the PC) years ago in favor of setting the authentication in the modem. Home computers today use a LAN connection to the modem. The only reason to set up a native PPPoE connection is if the modem is bridged and you don't have a router to do the authentication for you.

These days I only see these connections is on computers that the owner has set it thinking that it was needed to connect or a tech support person has set it up after bridging the modem to see if it is the modem not authenticating.

So yes your wireless will work with the broadband connection disconnected.