Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ensonic mixer

• Please log in to reply

Gemius

Gemius

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I'm trying to improve my computers performance by reducing programs running at start up to a minimum. The last one I can afford to lose is Ensoniq Mixer - Starter exe in msconfig. While trying to delete it I ended up with two versions on the task bar. One in German! How I did this I don't know but I still can't get rid of them. Can any one help me to get them off the task bar and out of the start up list for good.

Many thanks

Gemius

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

download and install, then start and uncheck the mixer references

Gemius

Gemius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the reply but when I try to open the downloaded program I get a message 'Can't open file because it's not a file that QuickTime understands'

Do you have any ideas on why that should happen?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
which did you download? the install or the standalone?

Gemius

Gemius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I've tried them both and get the same message. I saved them to My Docs and then double clicked to open them and get the same message.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
bad file associations

download and install Tweak UI for windows 98 (google it)

in Control Panel. Go to the "Repair tab" and choose "Repair File Associations".

then try downloading the above....

or,

start > run
msconfig
enter

go to startup tab and remove mixer reference

Gemius

Gemius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks Gerryf. I finally got it to work. Unfortunately my computer doesn't seem to perform any better as a result. It's slow loading screens despite a broadband connection and the longer I surf the worse it gets. The mouse gets increasingly jerky and uncontrolable at the same time and I'm typing this in slow-motion as it takes a second or two for each letter to register. Resources are currently 74%.
Is there anything ese you can suggest?