Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP1=corrupted core files?

• Please log in to reply

finalmad

finalmad

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi
After installing service pack 1 i restarted my laptop and i was greeted by a wonderful black and white screen saying my core files have been corrupted i said ok and had to repair my operating system using the os cd after i defragged my laptop,scanned for viruses and tried again with the same result so i repaired the os again and said to [bleep] with this. My laptop is booting up and running at half the speed of a snail so i scanned my comp for viruses, defragged and to no avail computer takes forever to do anything and at least 2 min to open firefox.

Any help to alleviate this major slowdown or to install sp1 will be greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisements

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hey Finalmad!

I'd like to point out that I'm pretty sure that the laggyness or slowness is not caused by a virus (i think).

Have you tried to uninstall Service Pack 1 via Safe Mode?

1)In order to do so, you'll need to restart the computer, and access Boot Options by hitting F8 while booting.
2)From here, choose Safe Mode.
3)When Safe Mode starts, go to: Start>Control Panel>Add Remove Programs>Installed Updates (option of the left)
4)Find Service Pack 1, and Right-Click and choose Uninstall.

Let me know how it goes, and if it improves performance at all.

Regards,

finalmad

finalmad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hey thanks for the reply but i already un installed the SP and i am asking which would be the better way to install so i wont get any errors and there are no viruses on my pc i checked using AVG 8, BitDefender 2008 total security and search and destroy.

I think i found the reason why my comp was getting laggy it was because of Bitdefender i just un installed it for no reason and system speed back up.

(By the way which is the better antivirus out of the three so i will know with one to permanently keep on my comp and which one to uninstall)

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

i am asking which would be the better way to install so i wont get any errors

It seems that there was an slight error when installing SP. I'd like to know - did you use the Windows Update to install the Service Pack package or did you download it off the internet(via a site other than microsoft)?

Also, could you post your computer configurations?

(By the way which is the better antivirus out of the three so i will know with one to permanently keep on my comp and which one to uninstall)

This is really an opinionated question. From what I see and hear, AVG's Free and Pro (8) are very powerful yet efficient tools to utilize for your Anti-Virus/Spyware Security. I personally am a fan of AVG, and thus recommend AVG.

Regards,

Edited by ipods619, 03 July 2008 - 05:49 PM.

finalmad

finalmad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Humm avg i was leaning towards any way but i liked the scanner that bitdefender offered but what ever.

I got the service pack from windows update and yes my windows is genuine. What setting would you like me to post and how?

also i tried reinstalling it 3 times

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Never mind the specifications.

However, instead of using the Windows Update for the SP, try using the following link. It's directly from Microsoft's website.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1

(Actual Site for your reference)

Edited by ipods619, 03 July 2008 - 10:00 PM.

TomWij

TomWij

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
When your system is in a corrupted state it can be a mess to install a SP, we have to make sure the system files are not corrupted. Besides that it is normal that after the installation of a SP things will start slow. (This is because the various caches (readyboost, ...) have been cleaned and need to fill again)

This is what I would do:

1. Be sure that your memory isn't damaged (Using Memory Diagnostics or Memtest).

2. Run a chkdsk.

3. Uninstall as much updates as you can. (Or you could do an in-place upgrade with the install CD, be warned: This takes some time...)

4. Be sure you have the latest versions of your device drivers.

5. Run the command: sfc /scannow
This will repair any corrupted system files to the initial version.

6. Make sure your computer is up to date. (Yes, you can just install SP1 trough Microsoft Update, it will work this time, be sure to turn off scanners)

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

so i repaired the os again and said to [bleep] with this. My laptop is booting up and running at half the speed of a snail

Couple questions first:

1. What kind of laptop is it? Be brand specific. Model number could also help.
2. You listed that you repaired the OS. Could you please check your device manager to make sure that everything listed is accounted for?
(Right click on computer, click 'manage,' and on the left pane click 'device manager.')
Be sure that there are no yellow question marks visible.

Frequently people will attempt a repair install of windows and end up inadvertently doing a little more than they expected. From what you're describing, it sounds like you may have done just that and are missing device drivers. Possibly chipset or VGA adapter.

Again, this is an opinionated question. As far as AVG goes, I'm not a particularly huge fan of the free version. AVG Pro isn't terrible if you like the software though. I personally prefer the newer version of Symantec's Norton 360. (look for v2.0) Also, Webroot's Spysweeper and PC Tools' Spyware Doctor are two great alternatives for malware. Yeah yeah, these aren't free programs but they do a great job when it comes to prevention. Think about it. Would you work your best if you weren't paid? Most free alternatives for antivirus and antispyware either don't have full functionality or have slower definition updates which will leave you vulnerable to newer outbreaks for a period of time. Not to say that there aren't free tools that do a great job at removal with the proper know how, it's normally just easier to keep it clean.

Edited by lurky, 04 July 2008 - 06:51 PM.

finalmad

finalmad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
My laptop is a Gateway model T-6815 not fancy but gets the job done runs C.O.D 4 full specks smoothly rite back to the business at hand.
I checked the device manager all good i even went through one by one and updated each device still to no avail.
I my personal thing is that im gonna drop in a 2g ram and make it do with that.

Thank you all for being so patient and replying :)

!!!Whoops i missed Tomwij's post sorry :S ill try what you say sorry!!!!!!

Edited by finalmad, 04 July 2008 - 08:40 PM.

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Well in that case, I'd continue with Tomwij's recommendation.

G-MAN-RUS

G-MAN-RUS

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys, I have kind of the same problem. I installed Service Pack 1 for Vista and my laptop stopped working. Only black & white window appears when I try to turn on my Acer Aspire 5630. This window has several options to choose (Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking etc.), but none of them works. I just simply can't start Vista. When I try to repair the system using Vista CD it doesn't run at all.

Now I want to get all the data that I have on my hard drive and then format it and install XP Pro. How can I do this? Could anybody help me? Thanks in advance.

finalmad

finalmad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
sorry for no reply for a while i was busy with work and had no acess to internet but im now running the sfc /scannow command will post later if it worked thank you all for the help

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
ha sorry - old post - G-MAN-RUS is probably long gone.

Edited by The Admiral, 29 July 2008 - 10:47 AM.

finalmad

finalmad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok did the command and guess what got another problem they said" Windows Resource Protection found errors but was unable to fix some of them" then when i go to the folder to check the log they say access denied.

Any ideas here?
posted pic

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg