Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speakers not working/not showing up

• Please log in to reply

rufus

rufus

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I tried to add some more RAM and it wasn't working so I put my old RAM back in and I reset the BIOS defaults which is what I did when I installed the RAM in the first place, but my comp. screen glitched and I think I hit reset setup dafaults by accident. Now I have no sound from external speakers, only a beep that comes from the internal speaker, when I get an email or have some kind of error.
I have gone to the device mgr and tried everything I could think of. I was told to remove the soundcard from device mgr then restart the computer and it should work right then, but I don't see the soundcard located anywhere on the device mgr.
I tried to go to the volume control and I get an error that says there are no active mixer devices installed. I get an error that there is a problem with my sound device when I try to play a music CD.

Please help.
If I reinstall XP, doesn't it give me an option to save all my existing files that I have?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You probably have a setting in the BIOS setup that needs to be changed. Just enter the setup and change the setting for what audio device is used. Not knowing the make or model I can't tell you how to enter the setup.

rufus

rufus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
This is the info I have on my computer. SDRAM PC133 w/512RAM and 28GB HD. Processor speed 997 mhz. CPU Manufacturer Genunine Intel, CPU Family Intel Pentium III processor model 8, stepping 6.
I just hit delete to get to the BIOS screen but I didn't see anything about sound on it, not sure what to look for. It had to be hitting the setup default by accident because it didn't do this the last time I added RAM.
I want to turn the internal speaker off and have it find and load the sound card/speakers.

rufus

rufus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I repaired xp and they still don't show up and I reinstalled xp and still no sound capabilities. I'm not sure what to look for in the bios screen. I turned the remote assistance on so hopefully someone here will be able to help me figure this out. I do surveys online, a lot of them, and most of them require me to have sound. Appreciate any help at all.

rufus

rufus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Got it figured out.