Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

drwaston error.

• Please log in to reply

cakez

cakez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I'm using Windows XP and I've recently downloaded Vista transformation pack. I've come across an error where my PC needs to be rebooted.
The error usually appears when i click the start button then errors come up crashing the PC.
Any help? thanks.

Edited by cakez, 28 June 2008 - 01:02 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You will surely hear different opinions but mine is never to use an upgrade. It is available but very often cause so many problems. As I see it it's an almost impossible task to transform an existing OS (XP in your case) with all it's attached drivers and applications and set this right. It's so complex that the chances for failure are just too high.

I tried the same and sure enough it failed. If you want to convert to Vista buy a CD which is not an upgrade. Backup your data and take the longer but much safer route of fresh install.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Transformation packs are definitely not good things to use - they replace important windows files.
If you want Vista your better off buying it like The Skeptic already said - I've used the transformation pack and it only slowed down my PC and gave me a lot of problems when trying to revert back to my normal settings e.g. not everything changed back to the way it was.

What error are you receiving by the way?

Edited by Mike, 28 June 2008 - 02:02 PM.