Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do you capture an image useing print screen

• Please log in to reply

wbarbe

wbarbe

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i have a microsoft multimedia keyboard 1.0a
i am running windows xp home sp2
i know that you have to save it in paint but i cant get it to work
does paint have to be open before you do this ?

i know it is a dumb ? but if you dont ask you wont know
thanks

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Its been a while since I have used print screen and pain, but if I recall. Do "print screen", open paint and then I believe edit and paste.

I actually prefer Gadwin print screen. You can set the program up to use the same key, direct all your screen captures to a specified location (such as desktop), label them, capture full screen or active window, save as a .jpg or .bmp, etc. And it is FREE (my best kind of program).

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I suggest you download IrfanView. It's free, and an extremely good picture viewer and modifier program. And it's easy as 1 2 3.

So! After pressing the Print Screen button, open IrfanView (or a picture associated with IrfanView), and choose the "paste" option on the toolbar. Paint is not reliable, it often fails to read the clipboard.

Oh yea...one last thing.
Don't use the clipboard (for example, saving a line of text) until you've saved the picture, or else it'll disappear.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

i have a microsoft multimedia keyboard 1.0a
i am running windows xp home sp2
i know that you have to save it in paint but i cant get it to work
does paint have to be open before you do this ?

i know it is a dumb ? but if you dont ask you wont know
thanks

Correct! There are no dumb questions.

When you press Print Screen it sends the image to the Clipboard. You do not have to use Paint. In fact, I recommend a better and free program called GetPaint. The Windows' Paint program is very lossy when saving images. Especially JPEGS.

Once you have done a Print Screen, you can open a graphics editor or, if already open, just click inside the program's working area to bring focus and do a Ctrl + V to paste the image to the editor. You can use the program's Paste menu.

Another good useful free program is FastStone Capture for Windows, version 5.3 (only). The program gives you more options on whether you want part of the screen, full screen with scroll, manual selection of screen section and more.

Ron

wbarbe

wbarbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank alot

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome and thank you for using GTG.

Ron