Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

shuts down

• Please log in to reply

angelsnor

angelsnor

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer suddenly shuts down when in use, I get a box that says runtime error. There is other information in that box but it shuts of so quikly I have no idea what it says, this happened to me before and I removed the case and cleaned out the dust and it worked fine for quite awhile. Three days ago it started doing the same thing, I cleaned it out, and checked the fans. Today it only stays on for a short amouth of time and then shuts down. It does not auto restart. ANy help out there please?

Advertisements

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Of course, I have several ideas why could this happen.

- First of all, look for hardware causes. It is ESSENTIAL that you check those small condensers around the CPU. The condensers are small circular objects attached to the motherboard, around the CPU. Take a look at the their top. All condensers' top should be smooth and silver. If not, their top is blown up, or you see cracks on it etc. you'll have to take the motherboard to a hardware expert where it can be fixed.

I remember I had the same problem...the computer always restarted,and I couldn't figure out te possible cause. My father took a look on the motherboard,and showed me that most of the condensers around the CPU are popped out and damaged because of the intense heat. This might be a possible reason.

- Another possible reason is that the round battery in the motherboard is slowly getting weaker. You know what am I talking about...there'z a round battery piece on the motherboard. If it starts depleting, you'll encounter restarts which are, most likely,happens spontaneously.

- If everything is fine with the hardware, check out the software. You might have something, like a worm or a spyware, which keeps restarting your PC. Malwares are a threat.

- Try to check the Events log, where the error is usually logged.

- In case you have damaged or altered system files, use Windows Repair, or obtain those files from someone else.

- Make sure there is no intense heat where your computer is. PCs don't really love to sit in the 50 °C, as I told you, my former machine was also sensitive for this...