Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start up Issues Video Card?

• Please log in to reply

paigepon

paigepon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400
A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1B16K
BFG Tech BFGR650PSU 650W ATX 12v 2.0 / EPS 12V Power Supply
EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
ASUS P5K SE EPU LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Western Digital IDE 160 GB HardDrive
Lightscribe DVDRW

Tried to start up my computer Tonight.
Last night I used it to burn movies to DVD however it had been mostly outta commission before that because
the harddrive was waiting to be reformated.It worked completely fine yesterday, started up instantly, no problems.
Before I had issues with the harddrive and booting up it did have problems starting up after having been shut down
a few moments before (i had to play with the PSU shut off switch a few times before the computer would come to life.
Today I turned on my computer and the motherboard bios was beeping like crazy. I ran it through to Vista however
screen (the bluish one before your desktop loads) just kept saying "Please Wait" and then the screen would turn black
(but the green light to the monitor was still on) then the Bluish screen saying "please Wait" came back on and went to black
again and this continued. I checked the fans off the PSU, Processor and Case fans just to see if maybe there was some
sort of head abundance causing issues with my motherboard or CPU. I opened the case and found no abundance of head anywhere and
all the fans were working.
Then I tried to turn my computer in the hopes that the problem would conviently disappear like it never does or just to listen to the beeps that
came from my motherboard so i could figure out whats wrong by looking up the beeps...unfortunately nothing happened, like the computer wasn't even plugged in
and there was no power coming in at all. When I had an issue with
The PSU a blue light on the motherboard and on the PSU and even the fans flashed but then turned off moments later. So thats why i don't think something
is wrong with the PSU.
After screwing around with the PSU main shut off switch and trying the computer power switch a few times (it had worked before) however it didn't work this time
So I tried unplugging all unnecessary wires just to see if my computer would run. (I had a wire USB Optical Mouse, Wired Keyboard, External Harddrive and my Liquid Video Flat Panel Monitor
Plugged in) (all of these things have run fine in the computer before) I pressed the power button and Alas the computer started, not beeps besides the two post beeps that always came from my motherboard
(Now remember my keyboard, Mouse and Monitor are not plugged in) I plug in my monitor to see what has gotten up on the screen (I wanted to try to restart or try to install speedfan to see if the
temps of my cpu aren't messing with my other devices)
However given the fact that my computer started fine without my monitor plugged in brings me to the assumption that my LCD monitor or (most likely) my video card are the culprits to this annoyance.

While in my case I checked my Video card and it seemed to be pretty snug in the case, the fan on it seemed to be working fine and i didn't see any visible issues.
So what do you think? Could I have a faulty card? and If so, Why is it suddenly developing now? (the computer had been working fine [minus a dead PSU] earlier.)
Now this problem of having issues turning on the computer has been getting progressively worse but I just assumed it had something to do with another issue I had with a hard driver but now I think it may have had something
to to with the Video Card getting worse and worse

Edited by paigepon, 28 June 2008 - 10:16 PM.

Advertisements

computeruler

computeruler

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok try a different psu to see if it works also a different video card to see if it works also

paigepon

paigepon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried using another PSU my system ran fine (better than the P.O.S. BFG Tech I've been using I might add) However the same issue arose.
and I also tried it with another Monitor (the other one was slightly newer) Now that I think of it, it may be some sort of freaky Software issue cus it seems like the monitor keeps trying to auto adjust itself or something.
It actually does these steps: "Please Wait" Screen --> Screen Turns Black --> Screen seems to turn off --> Screen Turns back to "Please Wait" Screen.

I recently reformated my computer's harddrive before this issue arouse perhaps that could be the cause? I can run the computer in safe mode, I think I'm going to save some info off of the hard drive and just reformat... and see if that is the issue I honestly wanna try everything before assuming its a damaged device (I've had enough trouble with the BFG Tech)