Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a New Router...

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Hey,
Im planning on buying a new router to replace my old netgears and having been looking around at the new Netgear N Range.

I have seen 3 quite good ones but was wondering if someone could clarify which is best, as they all have wireless N techonolgy but some have 'dual' and others have 2.4ghz wireless and other 5ghz

Looking on the netgear site they have this one under 'maximum coverage & bandwidth'

RANGEMAX™ NEXT WIRELESS N ADSL 2+ MODEM ROUTER - DG834N

But if you then go to 'N-Wireless Series' they have some others

RANGEMAX DUAL BAND WIRELESS-N ROUTER(WNDR3300)

and then

NETGEAR© RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router
(WNR3500)

Its just a little confusing as when you go to compare they compare it to some but not all of them,

Also i have just found this NETGEAR© HD Gaming Wireless-N Network Kit
Would this be better as i can just plug it in to my old Modem and am i correct in saying this acts as to wireless routers indiviudualy but they are bridged togeather?

I was also wondering what

Simultaneous connect to multiple Internet services & online media

means??

Thanks for your help!

SpuD

Edited by ==SpuD==, 29 June 2008 - 08:47 AM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It is important to know that 802.11n has not became a standard. What this means to you is that even if you have a wireless N compatible card in your PC this does not necessarily mean that it is going to work with your new wireless N router. I would look towards getting the same brand router as your current wireless card.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Well i was going with Netgear as i am currently using all netgear products for my network and find them quite reilable.

How would i know what make the wireless cards are as they are built in with the laptops??

Thanks for your response :)

SpuD

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Should be listed this the device manager. To get there right click on "my computer" and select manage. From there you can click on device manager on the right. Expand "network adapters" and it should be listed there.

Edit: Also, Everest Home Edition will provide you with this information under the "Summary" tab.

Edited by Titan8990, 02 July 2008 - 12:18 PM.