Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firefox slow to load

• Please log in to reply

sazajo

sazajo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had firefox 2.0 for a long time & last week it started taking about 40 seconds to load when I clicked on the icon. Once online pages loaded fine and did not experience any troubles. I ran disk cleaner and defrag to clear up some space. Also ccleaner and avg. I uninstalled ff 2 and got ff3 but am having same problem. I have opera and att which seem to load fine under (10seconds)but with ff3 the web pages are starting to load slow also. What can I do?

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello sazajo and welcome to Geeks to Go

I believe this will help you a great deal :)

http://www.geekstogo...er-t177375.html

Regards

sazajo

sazajo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I believe this will help you a great deal :)

http://www.geekstogo...er-t177375.html

I wasnt having problems with web pages loading but I did change the piplining entries and the pages do load faster. But what I am still having troubles with is after clicking firefox to get online it takes 35-40 seconds for the firefox homepage to load. I stare at my desktop background for this time period. I have tried opera and connecting through att without the long wait. I did not have this problem until early last week.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello sazajo and thanks for your reply.

This does sound odd indeed, have you made any changes to firefox recently that may of affected this?

To rule out any spyware issue I reccomend for you to head to our malware removal forum which is here also before you post a log please read this post here
We are unable to assist with any form of malware removal in this forum, please post your problem in the malware forum where our experts will be more than happy to assist you.

You may want to also take a look at the list of Anti-Virus and Anti Spyware tools which are here

It may or may not be a malware issue but our experts that are in that forum would rule that out completly.

What I would also try is un-installing firefox and re-installing it and see if you get the same problem.

Keep us informed of any progress

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 30 June 2008 - 07:50 PM.

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I actually second this. As soon as i downloaded ff3, it seems like my laptop, when surfing the internet is at a lag. When i am watching youtube videos, it shows choppy, and every single website i go too takes sooooo long to load up.

I have windows vista sp1
2 gigs of ram
pentium dual core processor
100 gig harddrive.

As the previous poster said, i also ran ccleaner, defragged my harddrive, ran adaware, plus super anti spyware and the same problem exists. I consider my laptop to be pretty fast and love to surf at blistering speeds and wish it could be the way it was.

I am connected using the wireless on my laptop and i am connected at 54mpbs per second. I took a speed test and it showed that my upload speed at 27.8per sec and my download speed at 631.1 KB per second.

I already had the firefox tweaks a long time ago also

Any thoughts on what I could do?

Edited by mrq201, 30 June 2008 - 11:18 PM.