Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP hangs on startup

• Please log in to reply

mr. nicksta

mr. nicksta

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi guys!

i'd be most appreciative if anyone could offer ANY advice to me on this matter. i have tried everything i can think of, but to no avail - so i guessed it was time to ask the opinions of the informed minority, such as yourselves :)

anyways, on with the problem:
i have been attempting to rectify a problem that a friend of mine has had with her acer laptop (3003WLMi i think). Basically what happens is the computer starts up, the desktop loads (so it's getting quite far into the whole process!) but then after loading a few systray items the mouse movements become VERY jerky. The mouse just gets worse and worse until it completely stops responding to movements, and then the system just hangs frozen. There is still signs of life after the freeze - the HDD is still being accessed so it has not completely frozen (plus if you KEEP moving the mouse despite it being unresponsive, very occassionally it will respond for about half a second).

so there is the problem, now i will describe what i have done myself in an attempt to rectify this.

first off i tried booting in safe mode to see if that would work - and it did! works fine every time in safe mode. i then ran checkdsk to ensure that there were no bad sectors on the HDD, but this proved a fruitless effort. I then thought that maybe it was something to do with a particular start up item. so i disabled all non-essential process start ups (and non-essential services in the later iteration of this trial and error process), but this didn't help either. i thought maybe then, that the system may be infected with some kind of malicious software (as there was no working anti-virus installed). so i downloaded AVG 8.0 and attempted to install (in safe mode, since that is the only access i could get to the system) but AVG does not like the idea of installing in safe mode!

i have now hit a brick wall and cannot think of what else to do. any help would be much appreciated. if you need ANY more information i will endeavour to get it back to you as quick as possible! :)

cheers guys :)

Edited by mr. nicksta, 30 June 2008 - 05:58 AM.

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
do the following
Ctrl Alt And delete
file new task(run)
Type this in cleanmgr
put check in all boxes
press ok and confirm delete

if your using IE7 you could clean your computer this way
do the following
Ctrl Alt And delete
file new task(run)
Type this in
inetcpl.cpl
then press delete
and delete all

go here

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Edited by Rorschach112, 30 June 2008 - 10:48 AM.
Don't post malware advice

mr. nicksta

mr. nicksta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
firstly, thanks for the prompt reply!

am i right in assuming that everything you mentioned here will operate as expected in safe mode?

i will try all of these in due time, and get back to you with the results. i am doing this for a girl that i am dating, so keen to impress :) i will be eternally in your debt if your steps solve the problem!!

also, with regards to the last link you supplied, are you implying that you want me to post a HiJack This log?

thanks, i'll reply asap!

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
these are only fixes that may help you get to the malware forum

http://www.snapfiles...ould/index.html

Edited by Rorschach112, 30 June 2008 - 10:48 AM.
Remove malware advice

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Don't post malware advice Mr. Freeze, it was dangerous

If Tech Staff think your problem is malware mr. nicksta, then head over to the forum

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
not really malware advice
only trying to help him get to malware forum steps
then he can do his hijack thing over there
i only posted scanners not the actual malware cleaning tools
if im wrong in posting malware antivirus scanners
then i apologize

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You posted telling him to go to the malware forum, but also you told him to run Avast. He could already have an anti-virus, and if he followed your steps he could have two anti-viruses running causing a lot of new problems.

Telling users to run Dr. Web to remove malware is against the rules. Especially when you tell them to go into Safe Mode with Networking. This mode leaves their PC extremely vulnerable to malware and can get them even more infected.

All you can do is direct them to the malware removal forum, and even that should be left to the tech staff after they have deemed it is a malware problem.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
so your saying online scanners are not allowed
kaspersky
housecall
nod32 ...etc

he claimed he couldnt install avg not my favourite
which is why i posted avast

however ill remove my current posts again i apologize

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Yes I am saying you cannot post any malware advice, especially concerning online scanners. You will get in trouble if you do that. There can be no malware advice in this forum.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Yes I am saying you cannot post any malware advice, especially concerning online scanners. You will get in trouble if you do that. There can be no malware advice in this forum.

Sorry ....My Bad
it didnt seem like malware advice
but no more online scanners
in any mode

Good Luck mr. nicksta

Edited by Mr Freeze, 30 June 2008 - 11:28 AM.

mr. nicksta

mr. nicksta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
you guys have now confused me!

what do you recommend i do? are you syaing i should go to the malware forum and re-post the problem there?

cheers again

EDIT: also, rosarch i'm not an idiot! i'm not about to install two antivirus'!! :)

Edited by mr. nicksta, 02 July 2008 - 10:33 AM.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

I would go to the Malware forum and post. Make sure to read teh stickies and do as they suggest first.

Cheers,
Mak