Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't update my video card drivers

• Please log in to reply

Archduke of Awesome

Archduke of Awesome

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Alright guys, here's my problem...

I tried to play Half Life 2 the other day and Steam tells me that my video card drivers are out of date, and that I should update or it may cause problems with the game. I just chose to do it later and began playing. It worked fine for a baout 15 minutes and then crashed, so I decided to update my video drivers.

I am using a PNY nVidia Geforce 6600 PCI Express (SLI Ready). I go to nVidia.com and enter the information about my card, which directs me to the current driver for the 6000 card series: Version 175.16. I click download and go through the installation process and restart but nothing happened. The game continues to run ok for a few minutes, but when it begins to load a new chapter it crashes again. I then read somewhere you are supposed to unintall the old drivers before installing new ones, so I did that, that didn't work and I screwed up my resolution. I had to go back and reinstall the original out of date drivers so now I am back to square one.

My most recent attempt failed and I plan on reinstalling the old drivers for again after this. I've gone through this process several times and I do not understand what I am doing wrong. I am at my wit's end here, please help! :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There is always problems with older video cards when your games get updated to the newest rendition. They often will no longer work and do crash on the older cards. I would suggest upgrading to a newer video card.

SRX660