Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Next MS OS

• Please log in to reply

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I've been doing some research on Windows Fiji and Windows 7. From what I can tell, Windows Fiji is pretty much a Media Center upgrade of Vista, sort of like WinXP MCE. As of this past weekend Microsoft has officially given a release date of January 2010, from what I read.

Anyone know anything else about Windows Fiji or 7?

I'm also downloading and installing a beta version of IE8 as I type this right now, we'll see how that works... :)

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Fiji is only the Media Center refresh, not a Windows update. It will be released before Windows 7.

Windows 7 is mostly just a Vista refresh. It will use the same kernel, likely still have User Account Control, and will use the same drivers etc. It will have some new eye candy, but won't be a major change. Windows 7 is supposed to ship in 2010, but I'm guessing you'll see it in time for Christmas 2009.

Windows 8 will likely be a fresh start. Much like OSX was. It will also likely be based on a small kernel that can power the desktop, or the cell phone. I expect it to make great use of virtualization for backward compatibility and a drastically different interface. It will probably be very componetized, and offered as a shrink wrap, or downloadable software as a service / monthly subscription package.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

I'm also downloading and installing a beta version of IE8 as I type this right now, we'll see how that works...

IMO this is asking for a problem. It's not like their final releases of IE doesn't have enough bugs and security flaws in them already.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
That doesn't matter to me. I use Firefox anyway. I just figured "What the heck, I'll download it and see what's new."

So far, not a whole lot from what I can tell...