Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN and Connections Missing

• Please log in to reply

Teld

Teld

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, I recently got hit with a Windows Antivirus 2008 virus that ran a bunch of command prompts and did a number of different things that I'm not so sure of. I followed some steps on a site and appear to have gotten rid of the problem. Now the only problem I have is my internet connection, the LAN is missing and the network set up wont do anything no matter which setting we choose. The internet was working perfectly fine before this and I'm looking for a way to reinitialize it.
The only connection I have is from a program called Hamachi, which appears to work fine.
I've lost the basic internet connection as well, when I plug in the internet cable it doesn't even light up like it does on all the other computers.

When I went to look at my network adapters, there were none there. Is there a way to add one?

On this computer, I have a network adapter called Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

is there a way to get this onto the computer that got hit with the virus? and will I be able to set up a default internet / LAN connection when I have it?

Basically, I need to create a brand new LAN from the very beginning but have no idea how to do that, as the wizards do nothing for me.

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
You don't really create a LAN adapter per se, as a LAN adapter is the network interface card that you have plugged in in your computer as a hardware component. Try to check if you have your network adapter has its driver installed. Click Start->Run then type in devmgmt.msc. Look for the Network Adapter and expand it by clicking the + sign. If you have a network adapter, it should be listed there. If it has a ? sign, you don't have the driver installed yet.

BTW, where did you "look at your network adapters"? I'm imagining that your Network Connection window only shows you Hamachi virtual adapter based on your description. Can you give us a screen shot of your Network Connections window?

Teld

Teld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm sorry but I can't, it's not on this computer and we have no way of getting the files off of the other. I opened Admin Tools, selected Computer Management, Device Manager then Network Adapters. On this computer, it shows two network adapters when I click to expand,

Hamachi Network Interface
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

while on the other computer the only one is shows is Hamachi, there are no question marks or anything of that sort.

And yes, my network connections window only shows hamachi, it's labelled under LAN or High Speed Internet.

The internet was working fine before the virus and from as far as I can tell without that Realtek adapter I can't get the internet or set up networks.