Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop breaking links

• Please log in to reply

wagnerguy

wagnerguy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Good Morning all, I want to know how i can transfer files to my host via ftp without breaking the links that were established on my harddrive. I tried moving the entire folder then just moving the index page, but that did not work..

Any suggestions, I know there is a better way. like with excel, if you open both file you can move them without breaking the links.

Thanks

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Normally, you have your hard drive files set up to mirror EXACTLY the directory structure of your site online. Then you use relative links and insure all files go into their correct folders if different from the root directory. This will save you a lot of headaches and eliminate all those broken links.

Only use full path links when the files are off your site. of course, or when you have your site set up to use something like Server Side Includes (SSI) where full paths even for your own files is required in the include file.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 02 July 2008 - 02:35 PM.

wagnerguy

wagnerguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks, that what I though I was doing. I moved the enter site folder to the host.. I will try again

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Let me know if you have broken links. If you give an URL to site, I can tell you more. Check those links are written properly if you are using Dreamweaver or some visual editor that doesn't require hand coding.

Ron

wagnerguy

wagnerguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I tried to add <here> to all my links and it still didnt work. My process is to move my entire folder to the server with all the same folders.. Am I missing something?

How should set my folders up

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Without a link to your site to look at code for the links, I'll just take a guess here:

Not recommended that you use links using words like "here", "click here", etc. Bad usage. But, as an example, "here" must be like this:

<a href="URL of link" title="text description of link">here</a>

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 05 July 2008 - 07:56 PM.