Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Having Trouble with Computer recognizing DLINK

• Please log in to reply

RebeccainTO

RebeccainTO

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well...
I hope I can describe what is going on accurately enough.
Once and a while, I lose my internet connection. When I call Bell, they have me redirect my internet plug directly to my modem. They say that the computer is not recoginizing the router.
Spending hours and hours and days and days with Dlink, finally system restore has worked several times in correcting the problem.
Now, however, I am trying to system restore and it will not allow me to. I've tried upwards of 15 dates.
I'm wondering if this is a common problem with DLink, if the router has problems, or if perhaps it was never properly installed in the first place.

Any help is SO greatly appreciated because my friend has no access to the internet and it finding it very difficult!!!

Thanks,
Rebecca

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Rebecca,
I'm not quite sure I understand your problem. Are you saying that you have random internet connection drops? This happens when you have your router plugged up or just when your computer is plugged into the modem? Also, what model of DLink router do you have? And does your internet connection work at all when you have your router plugged in?

RebeccainTO

RebeccainTO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I know....it's a difficult situation to describe accurately.
I've had the modem for a couple of years....I don't know if that matters...

I have the DLink DI-524 (Wireless Router 802.11g)

1. It seems to be random - internet drops. (every month or so)
The computer stops recognizing the router. When I plug the modem directly to my computer it works.
2. It ONLY happens when the internet is running through the router. The Power, Ethernet, DSL lights remain on, but no internet connection.
3. When the internet drops using the router, there seems to be no way to make it work, unless I use System Restore. The computer doesn't seem to recognize the router. There could be a conflict of software? But when I system restore, it recognizes and works for a while. Then, it will drop a few weeks later.
Now, I can't system restore.
PLEASE help!!!! I have a friend living here using her laptop and she can't access the internet!!!

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
When the router is hooked up and the connection to it has dropped on your computer, does it drop on your friends also? Generally, if there is an issue with the router, using system restore on your PC should have no affect what so ever. Now, if the problem is local to your computer and not your friends, we can focus on your computer and not the router.

RebeccainTO

RebeccainTO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
When the it drops, it drops on both computers.

I'm happy you think it is not the router...because I don't think it is as well, I think it's something to do with my computer. It seems as though my computer needs some command to recognize or read the router.

But...when the internet drops, both connections are lost...

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Alright, so because both connections drop, it's very likely that it is the router causing the issues.

First, what revision is your router? It should be on the bottom of the router. Secondly, what firmware version does your router use? It should be under the status menu in the administration panel.

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 04 July 2008 - 10:11 PM.

RebeccainTO

RebeccainTO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,
It's Version H/W : E3 F/W : 5.00