Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apps won't launch; excessive spools.exe and svchost

• Please log in to reply

TABMartin

TABMartin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
On a friend's computer running Windows XP, the applications stopped launching. When the icon is clicked from the menu, the desktop or even control panel the hourglass comes on for a few moments, then disappears. The task manager shows many spools.exe and svchosts.exe processes.

The spools.exe file in C:\windows\system32\drivers was deleted, but not the file in c:\windows\system32.

Now when an application icon is clicked a file association box comes up. If an icon on control panel is clicked an error message saying Rundll32.exe is missing, yet I can find it c:\windows\system32. I have several spybot on the comptuer but can not launch it. I loaded an updated copy, but still can't launch it.

When I try to run MSCONFIG, it tells me the files are missing.

Since I can't run any applications, what should I do to clean this system?

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Do a Windows Repair on it from your XP CD. See the sticky at the top of the forum.