Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermitant Black Screen

• Please log in to reply

dnize

dnize

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I need help. I am running Windows XP. Everything seems to be working fine except for random Black Screen then message "no signal"....I wiggle the mouse.....after a few seconds comes back up and works fine for a while but just keeps returning. I restored my sysem back to all original settings, I have updated my video card drivers thinking it had something to do with the video card but I am now lost. Please help!

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello dnize,

Check that your video card is properly seated.

Regards,

dnize

dnize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
When you say properly seated do you think it may have worked loose from where it is plugged in?

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Yes, maybe your card is loosing concact. If you know, try to clean the bottom of the card with regular rubber.

Regards,

dnize

dnize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks mirjel,

So I've done what you sugested and all seems well. I've been tricked before with other things I've tried...time will tell. I thank you for the advise if any problems I'll repost.
Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
dnize

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
You're welcome dnize. If something goes wrong I'm always here.

Regards,

Edited by mirjel, 04 July 2008 - 03:48 PM.

dnize

dnize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well I new it was too good to be true...my issue is back. I had Windows Media Player open in the process of burning a CD. I also had my music file open and dragging in music files when the old black sreen/no signal was back. Any sugestions? I believe I have on board video, can I just use it? Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

Regards,
DNIZE

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try the onboard video...remove the AGP/PCI video card first...no more blackscreen...its the video card or the driver causing the problem...replace the card

dnize

dnize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
So I've shut down my computer, removed the video card, plugged the monitor into the main board. When I turn on the computer the monitor will not come on. Is it still looking for the video card. Should I do something?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
replace the card..boot into the bios and see if there is a setting to use the onboard video...enable it and then remove the video card and try rebooting

dnize

dnize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have reinstalled the video card. restarted in bios but I'm not sure how I enable the on board video...can someone help.
Thanks in advance.

dnize

dnize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well I've done it now .....I enabled on board vga (or something like that) restated the PC and now nothing I can't even get back to bios utility..I feel soo stupid for just not waiting for someone who knows something.