Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lsass.exe

• Please log in to reply

Angel of Light

Angel of Light

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm not sure what happened, but my laptop has recently crashed. Every time I try starting it, it gets almost to the welcome screen then this error message pops up.

lsass.exe

When trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the value provided for the current password is incorrect.

It then restarts and goes through the process indefinitely. When trying to access the recovery console through the XP disc, the administrator account's password appears to have become corrupted since none of the passwords I use are accepted. It simply states that the password is incorrect. (The account is protected because I dorm with computer science and IT majors who enjoy meddling and can't resist open back doors.)

I believe that the lsass file is either missing or corrupted, but I don't know how to get at it now.

Compaq laptop

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please read this earlier thread to see what you want to do with this type of error.

http://www.geekstogo...tup-t12548.html

Then you should go to the malware forum and make sure you do NOT have the Sasser worm on your computer.

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 04 July 2008 - 06:34 AM.