Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Windows XP MCE

• Please log in to reply

BobbieM91

BobbieM91

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell Dimensions 9100 with Windows 2005 MCE. with the last windows up date from Microsoft, my system shut down and would not restart saying that mywindow\system 32\cong\system.dll was missing or corrupted. This was after I attempted to retore the system to factory settings. I had an error when I ran the diagnostics of Auxiliary proccessor has failed:cpu 01h (error code 2600:0224) After a week of dealing with dell techs, I need help restoring my computer. I have reloaded the operating system mulitple times, had the hard drive replace, the motherboard replaced by Dell...hehehhe all with the same results. The operating system will load until it restarts during the set up. It then goes the the Dell logo and that is it, it will not go any further. I think that I may need to load 3rd party drivers for the RAID/SCICS (? not sure if I have the second one correct) that the windows setup queries if you need to add prior to loading. I can't find my paperwork to see what video/sound cards I have. The tech that replaced the mother board hinted that it is likely that I might need to do that but did not say where I could get the drivers. HELP!!!! my computer had been down for over a week and my lap top is really for work not play!

For all reading this....DO NOT DO MICROSOFT AUTOMATIC UPDATES WITH MEDIA CENTER EDITION XP. AT SOME POINT IT WILL CRASH YOUR SYSTEM!! This is the second time for me but the first time I have had to reload the total operating system. No one told me that the updates would not be safe MCE
Bobbie

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

I have been running MCE for over 2 years now without any issues with Automatic Updates. So this situation is limited to your PC.

With many Dell's they have been using SATA Hard Drives. Did you get these drivers from teh Dell site and use them during the install? Check in your BIOS for SATA configuration. If you have it the setting is most likely at ACHI which will mean you will need the SATA Drivers during the install. If it is set to IDE then you do not.

If it doesnt load to the 2nd step of the install remove everything but the mobo, CPU, PSU, and GFX card. Try to install then. Also how much RAM do you have on the system? Trying to install with 4GB of RAM will cause you grief. Try removing a stick of RAM or 2 and go through the install that way. Then put the RAM back in after you got the OS loaded.

Cheers,
Mak

BobbieM91

BobbieM91

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you very much! I do believe that you may have found the major problem.

I do have a SATA hard drive and it is set to ACHI. The tech has me change it to combination but that doesn't help (needless to say, with my asking here for help what I think of their abilities) My RAM is less than 4 so that should not be a problem. I believe that the drivers for the SATA hard drive may be the major problem. The tech that installed the new hard drive and mother board essentially stated that when he was here but he was not allowed to install the software.

You would have thought that the techs at Dell would know this type of stuff.

The reason I relate the crashes to the downloads is that the computer crashed during the downloads from microsoft....ie shut down to protect my files. The last time it was an easy fix. This time the missing/corrupted dll and processor failure created a problem that was not so easy to correct and Dell service is clueless.

Bobbie

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

Dell outsources their Tech Support to people who do not know these things. I personally have been running my Dell for just about 5 years if not longer and have figured out this stuff for myself since then. I have come across many situations like this and using the SATA Drivers has always solved it.

Like i said if you set the BIOS to use IDE instead of ACHI then you should be able to install without a hitch. Many people say there is a performance gain with ACHI but i personally have not seen it so i have left my setup with IDE not ACHI.

I would make sure you have the latest BIOS. From what i found it is A06.

http://search.dell.c...ba-e5878e58b797

This page here:

http://search.dell.c...a...se&~ck=anav

Is the page that has your SATA Driver. Use them during the install with the F6 option to install 3rd party drivers. Shouls allow for you to get your SATA Drivers recognized and working during setup to install.

Cheers,
Mak

BobbieM91

BobbieM91

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok, I downloaded the bios and drivers to a thmb drive from my laptop. How to I get the dimension to "see" the thumb drive to download them? I have a CD drive in the lap top. Do I need tou put these on a cd to load them to the other computer? This is frustrating. I have just enough knowledge to mess up a system and I don't want to make a mess of this. I am just tired of the so called Dell tech not knowing what to do and I am not computer literate enough to mess with the loading.
I do have the new operating system and driver DVDs that they sent with the new hard drive.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

You could have the driver on the Driver CD. Not to sure if Dell included them or not. But could always try. As for the Thumb drive make sure that you have it attached when you enter the setup and see if you can get the file from there when trying to install. If not you might have to use nLite to slipstream the driver into the install disc. I have done it many times. That is how i created a install disc with my Dell.

Cheers,
Mak