Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC is loaded with junk! HELP!

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
My Emachines PC (8 yrs old) is so loaded with junk it takes forever to boot up, surf, or do just about anything with. I have CCleaner, and when I do a registry scan it shows over 5500 errors / pieces of junk stuff. But, CCleaner will fix these ONLY if I purchase their junk cleaner / registry cleaner, but I'm disabled and cannot afford to buy it or any other program at this time. Does anyone out there know of a good, reliable, and safe FREE program? One where it won't deleted anything that may be important, or at least allows me to make a backup just in case? I have cable, but lately a dial up would be almost as fast as my cable on my pc. I realize it is an older pc but it's all I can afford. I know that if I can get rid of all the junk in the registry I'll see a big difference in my pc's performance. I'd appreciate it if anyone can direct me to a really good free program. Thanks!
P.S. My OS is Windows XP Home Edition. [/b]

Please don't use hard to read fonts

Edited by Rorschach112, 04 July 2008 - 12:16 PM.
Removed email address

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

I would recommend using Revo Uninstaller when uninstalling a applicaiton as it will remove the Registry Keys as well as the software. Which will help keep your Registry in better shape.

http://www.revounins...e_download.html

Cheers,
Mak

Removed Registry stuff. Not needed.

Edited by Makaveli213, 04 July 2008 - 01:12 PM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
In general, here at Geeks to Go we do not condone the use of registry cleaners. They can be extremely dangerous, especially in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Deleting the wrong entries can render a PC unusable, and none of us want to be in the position of helping a user recover from that. There is also no evidence that cleaning out the registry has any effect on the overall speed of a PC. It will speed up searches within the registry, but that has no effect on performance.

If you want to leave this topic open to see if the techs can help you in other ways that’s fine, but further posting about registry cleaners will result in this topic being closed.

Thanks for your understanding.

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks to BHowett for your very helpful info. I've been reading reviews about Registry repair programs and virtually all agree with your assessment. As a result, I shall not be using ANY registry repair program. I also would like to let others know something about a defrag utility called Auslogics Disk Defrag. I'm copying and pasting a post from another pc help site about something I as well as others do not like about a drefrag program called Auslogics Disk Defrag. While Auslogics Disk Defrag seems to be recommended by many, there is something that users of this program should know. The post below explains it all, and I recommend using the defrag program included with XP, it does a much better job. Many thanks again to BHowett's input and warning about registry repair utilities, you probably saved me from a lot of problems :)

Auslogics Disk Defrag

It seems to work well.

by: -------- on 03-Jul-2008 10:29:25 PM

Pros: Downloading and installing was easy. It worked quickly and smoothly.

Cons: As soon as it was done, another program launched scanning for unnessasary files etc. Of course if found a bunch: And offered to clean them, If I purchased another program. I haven't used either program since.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Mak I have to disagree with your recommendation of Eusing registry cleaner

That used to be on the rogue anti-malware list for giving false positives. Last time I used it, it was still doing this practice.

It is also one of the more aggressive registry cleaners. I would not recommend it myself.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

I can understand your concern. I will not advise it anymore. I have personally not come across any issues with this app myself. Time for a removal. :)

Cheers,
Mak

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Content removed

We do NOT allow the recommendation of registry cleaning software here on GeeksToGo. Period. :)

Edited by Kat, 04 July 2008 - 04:20 PM.