Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building Gaming / Business Desktop : Details Inside

• Please log in to reply

Cyprezz

Cyprezz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone,

I'm building a gaming and business computer. I'm a freelance web developer so I'm on the computer for both work and play which in my mind justifies an insane computer. This computer will be a nice tax deduction as well. As far as work programs go, many of them are glorified text editors for coding and it's only when I'm working with large files in Photoshop and video encoding that I would like a faster computer. The last time I built a computer was at least 4-5 years ago and so I could use some any advice / reviews of my current build. I'm pretty certain I have everything I need and that its all compatible but if not or I've have overkill one place and a bottleneck in another please let me know. Current build is $1,614. I will have 2 x 22inch monitors.

APEVIA X-JUPITER G-Type X-JUPITERG-BK Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail $160

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $200

2 x EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail $340 (170 each)
Max: Read some great reviews on this card, I've never had the money for SLI before this computer. Is this a good choice?

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail $90
Max: I have a Klispch 5.1 Ultra sound system, this card is 7.1 but the 5.1 cards seemed to lack more than just the extra channels. Also, the mobo has a on board sound but where I have a decent sound system, I don't want to skimp on the sound source.

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail $130
Max: Is 750W enough for 2 gfx cards and rest of my build?

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM $6

mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996599 - Retail $135

EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i FTW SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $190
Max: This looked like a great board, other one was 790i i believe but I won't be getting Tri SLI so thought this one was fine.

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail $30
Max: I don't think I need this because the cpu below is Retail but should I get it anyway to replace the stock fan? I do plan on looking into overclocking, more below.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9450 - Retail $330
Max: Quad core seems insane to me and I can't wait to see what this thing can do. Is this a good cpu for the mobo and fan I choose and what kind of overclocking can be achieved? Is overclocking even necessary? I like overclocking but I don't want to stress the system unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance!
Max

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

This is looking like quite the build. As it stands, everything is compatible and will make a great system.

I have the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, it's an excellent unit for the price. I have applied what I term a "medium" overclock on my E6750, from 2.66GHz to 3.2GHz, and it's keeping my CPU within a good temperature range under load. :)

Depending on how much overclocking you want to do, you may wish to get something a bit more serious, such as the Xigmatek for only a few dollars more.

And no, overclocking is not necessary at all. It is an enthusiast hobby, and not one that is to be undertaken unless you have read up on the many different areas that need consideration when overclocking.

Cheers

Troy

Cyprezz

Cyprezz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Troy. I have overclocked in the past but honestly it's been years so I'm reading up on it again. The guide pinned on this forum is excellent and I've read a few other articles. As far as my overclocking plans go, I may overclock a little simply because... why not, but I don't think there will be a need to push it at least not this year.

On a different note: I came across an article on RAID 0 and now I'm thinking it would be better to get 2 x 500 gig drives instead of the 1 TB drive. I would actually save $30 and get better performance. I already have a external backup drive for my work and while I still don't like the idea of losing everything should 1 drive fail... It's something I've never tried, so I want to try it, and it sounds like it could give a considerable performance gain. Anyone with experience want to enlighten me / others on the pros/cons of RAID 0 that a technical article may not reveal?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

For only a small overclock (ie. +0.2GHz or less) you'd be fine with the standard retail heatsink/fan combo, although upgrading should still help a little to keep temperatures as low as possible.

You've mentioned the con of RAID 0, if one drive fails, you lose the lot. As long as your backups are up-to-date, and you really want to try it, then go ahead.

Cheers

Troy