Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe Surfing

• Please log in to reply

Swagman

Swagman

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Just to pose a question while I wait for my hijack this log to be checked -

Assuming we don't go looking for trouble by opening attachments from unknown senders and don't go looking at [bleep] sites and the like how safe is surfing the net on broadband with the XP firewall on, antivirus up to date and adaware kept up to date and running every day? What are the chances of finding trouble if you take these 3 precautions?

Swaggy

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If you surf with IE and have java and active scripting enabled, trouble will likely find you. Use Firefox to avoid problems. Use IE only for your trusted sites that require it. :tazz:

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I agree broadly with previous response, but Firefox alas is not a magical cure all!

It's our default browser but our system is currently riddled with spyware. Witnessed one site installing nasties via the Sun Jave Runtime Environment - icon appeared in system tray and nasty installed before I had time to kill it.

So, it's wise to take precautions, but even Firefox is being targeted now - so, be careful out there :tazz:

DaveB - LinuxWannabee

Swagman

Swagman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks Austin, I've read heaps about Firefox recently so I went ahead and downloaded it on my new system - it was surprisingly easy to get used to after years of surfing with IE. Then I read Dave B's post :tazz: (was that with a firewall installed Dave?)