Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Search Bar Problem

• Please log in to reply

Simondo

Simondo

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hey.

I have recently reformatted due to a key logging problem and I've now upgraded to IE 7. The trouble is I now have 3 search bars which bug me.
The one that comes with IE7, a custom google one (which I would like to keep) and an AVG one. I tried downloading a registry from flpcnerds.com but the problem is still here. I also cant upload a picture because for some reason I dont have Paint on my PC now. Can you recommend anything? Its not a problem if not the main issue is the search bars.

Many thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Simondo...

The AVG toolbar is an optional install during the AVG installation. The only way I've found to completely remove it is to uninstall AVG and reinstall it without the toolbar.

However, it can be disabled by clicking "View" on your browser's toolbar, pointing to "Toolbars", and deselecting the toolbar in the list.

wannabe1

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thats great!

Is there anything I can do about the built-in search bar on IE7. I tried downloading a registry but it didnt work!

Thanks alot.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on the toolbar and deselect "Menu Bar" or "Windows Live Bar" (if that's the one you're talking about).

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Its neither of those I'm afraid.

=(

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you provide me with a screenshot of the toolbar in question so I can see what it is we need to remove?

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thats the thing, because I had to reformat, I dont have anything to upload my screenshots on. Can you recommend something?

Thanks!

Edited by Simondo, 14 July 2008 - 01:03 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try WinSnap. You can use the "Regional" setting to capture just the toolbar area of the screen.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I uploaded the toolbar! Awsome program, thanks for that.

I added it using Attachments. Hope it worked. How can I upload it into the text box we type our messages in?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• toolbar.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download IE7 Search Bar Remover and run it on the machine. Select the button to remove the search bar, apply the change, and reboot.

Did this do what you want?

You can put the search field back at any time by running this application again and choosing the option to put the search field back.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thanks fantastic, did exactly as I wanted.

Many thanks! Sorry for the late reply.

Simondo.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help.... :)