Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not boot up

• Please log in to reply

truenorthaz

truenorthaz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I press the start on my kids' computer, it makes a three long beeps (which it didn't do when healthy) and then begins to boot up for about 15 seconds ... the e-machine logo appears on the monitor and it promptly shuts down.
There were no problems before today, though it took a little longer than normal for everything to load upon start up. It's a two-year old E-Machine ... specs listed below.
Thanks for your ideas.

CPU: Intel® Pentium® D Processor 805 (dual-core)
(2.66GHz, 533MHz FSB, 2 x 1MB L2 cache)
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

Chipset: ATI Radeon® Xpress 200
Memory: 1024MB DDR2 (2 × 512MB), 533MHz (PC4200)
Expandable to 2GB
Hard Drive: 200GB (7200rpm, 2MB cache)
Optical Drives: 16x multiformat dual-layer DVD±RW
(Up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media)
Write max: 16x DVD±R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 4x DVD+R DL, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM
Media Reader: 9-in-1 Digital Media Manager™ (Memory Stick®, Memory Stick Pro®, MultiMediaCard™, Secure Digital™, CompactFlash®, MicroDrive, SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card™, USB 2.0)
Video: ATI Radeon® Xpress 200 integrated graphics solution
Up to 128MB of shared video memory
PCI-Express® (PCI-E x16) slot available
Sound: 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
Network: 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
E-machine computers are notorious for having the power supply fail and causing the motherboard to fail also. Most have the phoenix bios and 3 beeps with phoenix bios means a bad chipset on the motherboard. Award has bought out Phoenix but did not change their bios programming.

I have quite a few dead e-machines at my shop and have found that any kind of surge of electricity fries both the PS and MB.

You could try buying another power supply( they take standard PS's) but i doubt it will fix the computer. It may be a hassle but you could always return the power supply saying it did not fix the problem.

On most e-machines i save the hard drive, memory and some small parts as these usually don't burn up. I usually don't save the cdrom/dvdrom drives as they are the cheapest made, the H-L brand.

SRX660