Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Joke-Bluescreen.c and antispyware 2008 [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jmailf

jmailf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
should I change my default first then come back here and delete the other one? I see that currently the setup one is the default

Advertisements

jmailf

jmailf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok not sure what is going on now...........I deleted the part "windows pro setup" and and I had to restart the computer.....then my internet didn't work anymore......I check "msconfig" and the boot.ini tab was gone........then I added the old "boot.ini" file back and rebooted the computer but now I didn't see any of the operating systems at bootup......just C:\Windows.........and now the internet works again..........so what should I do?

jmailf

jmailf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok..........fixed it........I just made the "windows xp pro" the default OS
I didn't delete the other one........cause it just caused problems.........see about 4 years ago my daughter crashed my computer and I restored it by installing Windows XP pro .....it had NT before......I think what happened was that the guy that did it didn't do it right........he started the install and didn't complete it........then he made a partition and loaded it again.......I think that is why it shows to OS one is a complete one and the other is a partial.....it get only to a blue screen that says insert XP pro disc to complete setup......you think that may be why when I deleted the Xp setup one it cause it not to be able to load the internet explorer? I really don't know but am open to any suggestions.........I do know that when he did set it up I lost like 25% of my hard drive.......I'm guessing due to the other operating system..........am open to anything or I can just leave it this way if there is no solution to the fix (getting rid of the other operating system without loosing anything (files, internet, ect.)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

........I just made the "windows xp pro" the default OS

Thats correct, unfortunately I went to bed prior to you posting..

The only way I can see of clearing out that mess is to backup all your data - reformat the drive and then re-install. This would probably take four or five hours, plus you would then need to download and install all the updates. I don't think a drive image would work because it would still carry the corrupt install data. But I am no expert, if you go to the XP forum they will know a lot better than I .

Apart from that how is the system now ? System one still ok ?

jmailf

jmailf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
yea everything seems to be working good.....thanks a lot for everything, I did a system restore last night so that I know I have a good one.

system one is good also.......no problems

It would be good to start with a clean OS...drive.....but like you said I would have to back up everything on the main drive and then I would have to reload everything (software and updates) not sure how easy that is....I will look on the xp forum...I have three hard drives, two internal and one external: main is an 80g.

Again thanks for everything and if something pops up between now and the weekend I will let you know.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Here is one I did earlier :) http://www.geekstogo...ws-t173729.html

jmailf

jmailf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I may try this this weekend.....not sure need to think about it before I take on a task like this....would this make the system run as if it were new again?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Should do. When I was running XP I used to reformat every 6 months or so - but then I did play with the system a lot :)

You should end up with a system that is lean and clean

jmailf

jmailf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I will work on backing up all my files and getting all my keys......
I don't think I still have my Windows XP Pro disc anymore....or I should say I don't know where it is anymore.
But from you instructions on the other software that I downloaded I can just get the key by running them.
Most of my files have been transfered already in case it did ever crash.
When I redo the XP Pro will it only clear the C:\drive or will it clear all three drives?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That is up to you, you can clear just the c drive or you can format them all - your choice

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.