Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

updating windows vista problems

• Please log in to reply

queenliz

queenliz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i can't update the first service pack. my system restore also does not want to turn on. i normally get the "installation failed" after computer reboots.
i have vista home premium. i went to microsoft website they had the error message with a fix. but i get "access denied" when i followed the following instructions from
so the following is good advice but doesn't work. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://windowshelp.m...7f92281033.mspx
To allow files to be saved in the Catroot2 folder
Windows Update might fail if Windows cannot copy files to the Catroot2 folder or replace files that are in that folder (in other words, if the folder or its files are set to read-only). To change that folder so you can write files to it, follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button , click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

3. At the Command Prompt window, type attrib -h -s -r c:\windows\system32\catroot2 (where c:\ is the drive where Windows is installed), and then press ENTER.

4. Next, type attrib -h -s -r c:\windows\system32\catroot2\*.* (where c:\ is the drive where Windows is installed), and then press ENTER.

5. Type Exit, and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window.

To check and restart the Cryptographic Service
1. Click the Start button , click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

3. In the Services dialog box, click Windows Update (you might need to scroll down to find it; the entries are in alphabetical order).

4. Note the status of the selection (the status appears in the third column). Right-click Windows Update and do one of the following:

• If Start is available, click Start.

• If Restart is available, click Restart.

5. Now click Cryptographic Services (you might need to scroll up to find it).

6. Note the status of the selection (the status appears in the third column). Right-click Cryptographic Services and do one of the following:

• If Start is available, click Start.

• If Restart is available, click Restart.

7. Close the Services dialog box.

Advertisements