Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Corruption/Freezing When Internet Plugged In

• Please log in to reply

secondsabre

secondsabre

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Okay, this is by far the weirdest virus/malware/whatever I have ever seen. I'll explain the current symptoms first, then put everything leading up to it, in hopes that might help identify this thing.

Currently, the computer starts and operates fine. However, seconds after an ethernet cable is plugged in (I'm assuming anytime it gets an active internet connection), the monitor turns white, with strange blue lines running through it, and the computer freezes. Dead stop. Or, it may keep operating in the background, but considering your computer looks like it's running some kind of DirectX video test, it might as well be dead.

Originally, the computer would not turn on. Or, it wouldn't turn on with the internet plugged in, which we found out after trying some things. Once it was booted (with no ethernet plugged in, obviously), if the ethernet was plugged back in, the computer would restart. Hard restart, by the way, not a "Windows is shutting down." Also, the computer would freeze (Explorer goes "Not Responding") whenever a USB Storage Device (iPod) was plugged in. The drivers installed fine, but as soon as that sucker was plugged in, BAM, instant freeze.

I eventually installed the newest version of AVG 8 (this all happened two weekends ago), and ran a scan on the system. It found several 'Malware' alerts, and I got rid of them, obviously. This is when the computer stopped doing a hard reboot when the ethernet was plugged in, and just went to the Weird White Screen. I'm not sure if the iPod will still make it freeze at this point.

So... HELP? I have no idea what to do with this. It's the weirdest thing I've seen in 10 years of being "that computer guy". But yea, if anyone could lend some assistance, it would be most appreciated!

Thanks, all!

Advertisements