Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with CD driver

• Please log in to reply

lena36

lena36

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello,

I'm having a problem with my cd drive. My dvd/cd rom drive is recognized, there is a cd symbol next to it in device manager, and it opens and closes. However, when I try to backup word, and other files on the computer it doesn't recognize the drive saying the selected drive is not in use, or something like that. Also when I try to copy music from my media player to a cd it doesn't do it. It keeps saying no device detected press F5 to refresh, when that is done nothing happens. Please help

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Hi lena36

When you try to read from the cd is it ok?

Is it recognized as a cdrw device?

What program do you use to burn the cd? And what operating system are you using?

lena36

lena36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It can read from a cd
I don't know if it's recognized as a cdrw device, and how do I find out
to burn the cd I was using media player, and my operating system is xp

authement

authement

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, it is your computer is Desktop or Latop? If your computer is desktop, take out the desktop cover and check that the IDE Cable or SATA Cable is plug in the CD-ROM and the main board. If your computer is latop, buy a CD-ROM that has the model with your latop. :)

lena36

lena36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
authemet,

I do have a desktop, I would love to take those actions as you said, however I don't know where the IDE or SATA cable is located. I'm going to take off the cover and see if they are labeled anywhere.

lena36

lena36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It looks to me like my IDE 1 & 2 are connected. Is there anything else you can think of?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
When you open my computer there is a letter next to the cd next to that it says if it is a cd drive or a cd-rw drive?
If it says that it is rw this means it is a burner.

Have you tried to burn with a different program like Nero, Roxy or with the widows xp?

What version is your Media player? What is the model of the burner?

If the cd plays fine then I think the ide cable is sitting correctly even though if have it still open you may want to check that they are pushed in all the way.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Have a read at my post below, the first set of Symptoms and how to resolve the issue may help

http://www.geekstogo...XP-t142390.html

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to record (burn) data to a compact disc recordable (CD-R) drive or compact disc rewritable (CD-RW) drive, you may not have the option to send data to the CD-ROM drive.

CAUSE
This issue can occur when the drive is misdetected as a non-recordable device.

Edited by peter99, 08 July 2008 - 09:11 AM.

lena36

lena36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Vally,

I have opened up the computer, and put it back together. It's good to see where everything is in there. When I took out the cd drive, it didn't see any letters next to it at all. The computer does say dvd rom on the front so does that mean it will only record movies? I don't know, again I'm guessing. all the ide connections were pushed in all the way. I have no idea what version of Media Player I'm using, when I looked under the properties tab it didn't say. Is there anything else you can think of? I would greatly appreciate it.

lena36

lena36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Peter 99,

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm not sure I want to use this solution. It says it'll be permanent, and I'm not even sure that will rectivy the problem. Do you have any other suggestions?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello lena36

The computer does say dvd rom on the front

This would indicate that the drive you have installed is not capable of burning. ROM stands for Read Only Memory and ROM drives will not burn.

wannabe1

lena36

lena36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you sooo much wannabe1, so if I wanted to burn I would have to install a burning cd-rw drive correct?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...

Burn capable drives will be labeled as CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R-RW, and so on.

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Have a read at my post below, the first set of Symptoms and how to resolve the issue may help

http://www.geekstogo...XP-t142390.html

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to record (burn) data to a compact disc recordable (CD-R) drive or compact disc rewritable (CD-RW) drive, you may not have the option to send data to the CD-ROM drive.

CAUSE
This issue can occur when the drive is misdetected as a non-recordable device.

I was having the following issue from your link :

SYMPTOMS
After you install Microsoft Windows XP, the CD-ROM drive, the DVD-ROM drive, or CD-ROM R/W drive may not be visible in the My Computer window. Additionally, there may be question marks on the devices that are listed under CD-ROM drives in Device Manager.
CAUSE
An incorrect device driver was installed for the CD-ROM device.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behaviour, use the following methods in the order in which they are presented.
Method 1: Remove Registry Entry
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Curretcontrolset/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
4. On the File menu, click Export.
5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes. NOTE: If this data type is missing, continue to the next method.
7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

After doing this my computer now just reboots over and over. What do I do ?

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Gr69eht1980

Did you export the reg file and saved it
If so boot into safe mode and double click the reg file to restore it back into the registry

lena36

download this free tools and click on the drive tab it will tell you the supported read and write features of the drive

http://www.softpedia...-InfoTool.shtml

InfoTool is a utility which analyses and displays the most important information about a drive, disc, configuration and software. The information can also be printed or saved to a text file

Attached Thumbnails

• Drive.JPG

Edited by peter99, 16 July 2008 - 08:30 AM.