Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Netgear CG814GCMR and the Application Steam

• Please log in to reply

Hayo

Hayo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I just cam upon these forums and it seems like I might be able to get some help. Just the other day our family switched ISP's to Cable with Charter, and with that they installed a Netgear CG814GCMR for our modem and gateway. Now it works fine for surfing the internet, downloading files, and with certain games. However with Steam(valve's application) im getting issues with All Source games, ie. Day of Defeat Source, Counter Strike Source, Team Fortress 2. Whenever I try to refresh the game server browser list within these games, only about 10-100 servers show up and then my internet connection drops completely. Also when I try to join games with friends i can join the servers however the moment I get in, my connection to the server gets lost, or I timeout. I have forwarded all the necessary ports for the application, so I am assuming that this issue is being caused by either "port flooding" or "port throttling" however I am unsure how to fix this if it is the problem. Any suggestions, or ideas of how I can fix this would be much appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Hayo and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

Another thing you might try is setting up a DMZ to your computer.
You can usually find this under the "Firewall" menu.
If setting your PC as the DMZ works then we'll look into configuring the router correctly.

NOTE: Please keep in mind that the DMZ'ed PC will have no protection from the router.

Regards,
Olrik

shiny001

shiny001

• Pip
  • 1 posts
sorry to add to this, but I currently have the same problem. I've tried many of differnt solutions, even DMZ host. I just practically gave up on all steam games because of this. If you've had any luck please let me know.

~Shiny001