Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE goes to another homepage

• Please log in to reply

Naveb

Naveb

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
hello,

after resetting my internet explorer settings, i changed my home page to Google. under my internet options, and everywhere else where it shows your desired homepage, the google website is shown correctly. however, when i a new IE window the home page is http://go.microsoft..../?LinkId=74005; the defaul home page after the reset.

ive changed home pages before, its just after resetting my IE settings im stuck on te microsoft default website

howcome my IE is not going to google as the home page and how do i fix it?

thanks

Advertisements

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
So, if I am correct IE7 keeps showing the window that says choose your settings. If so, I have seen this problem a couple of times, you can create a file that will add the necessary registry entries that tell IE7 that it has ran the run once command. Before running the file please back up your registry For instructions, go here: Back up Registry

To create this file, follow these steps:

1. Right click on your desktop, and point to new, then click on text document.
2. Copy and paste the following into this document:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"RunOnceHasShown"=dword:00000001
"RunOnceComplete"=dword:00000001

3. Click on file, then save as, and type "IE7fix.reg" with out the commas. Now click save.

4. Double click the file, and allow the warnings, followed by a restart.

5. After your restart, test IE7's homepage, and you should be good to go.

Let, me know how this works out. :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I believe that guide on backing up the registry complicates things.

See this one: http://www.geekstogo...ry-t169267.html

Can't comment on the fix as I use firefox to avoid problems like that.

Hakiim8

Hakiim8

• Pip
  • 4 posts
http://go.microsoft....nk/LinkID=70586 this is the first webaddress that shows on my Internet Explorer 7 after trying to connect to the internet. It happens even after resetting the browser through Internet Options. Then whenever the address change I get "cannot display page". The status bar shows res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm. I'm at my wits end. Can another geek give me an answer that will help me restore my browser.
Hakiim8

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello Hakiim8,
There are a couple of things that I would try in order to restore your browser.

What operating system are you using? I assume you tried going to another page, like google.com if not see if you can access it after you get the first "The page cannot be.." message.

Do you have another Firefox installed, if so does the same thing happen, if not you can download it here: Firefox Homepage, if you can't access the web on that computer you may need to transfer the files. However if you like you can follow these steps to FTP Firefox, and not have to transfer files. FTP Firefox

You can try these steps:

1. Start, run, CMD, and type ipconfig /flushdns then hit enter and try to access the web.
2. Try to temporarily disable your firewall
3. Try running your computer in safemode, reboot and press F8 continuously and choose safemode with networking
4. Look in Event Viewer for errors
go to Start, run, type eventvwr.msc then press Enter. Check the Application, System, and Internet Explorer logs. Let us know what errors you see there if any.
5. Also try a system restore to a date were the issue was not happening.
6. After that if nothing seems to be working, I would scan your computer for malware and maybe even stop by the Malware Forums

Good luck! I hope your issue is resolved. :)