Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how secure am i really?

• Please log in to reply

trucker

trucker

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
most people worry about getting hacked or spyware. well this weekend i talk to a guy thats told me about owning someone box,(PC) and or there routers. seems they scan for open routers to email spam. Didnt think much of it at first but then why would I? After all its not even that they want to get to my files. But then he showed me. WOW so he uses my connection to the net surfs and what ever he wants. so if what they do breakes federal laws it points back to me, I dont need that!!!
So how do I know if this is or has been going on? I have an external motem router for phone and wireless

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A home router does nothing but effectively relay traffic. It itself does not send or receive specific data.
I think what your friend showed you was an open relay email server which is an entirely different thing altogether and can be found on any computer with an internet connection and knowledge of where to go to find one.
In a world where 20% of the world's population (1.5 billion people) globally have access to the internet, you're more likely to win a State Lottery three times over, you're more likely to reach the age of 110 before you die, you're more likely to see elephants fly (:)) than be "hacked".

Edited by Neil Jones, 07 July 2008 - 02:33 PM.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
well thats a good thing but now he knows my router and i think id trust him as far as i could throw the elephant. now i know the router has a default password think it would help to change it? if it can even be changed

Edited by trucker, 07 July 2008 - 08:34 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you're on a provider with a dynamic IP address assignment (most people are) then you'll get a different address every time you log on.
With all due respect, I think you're reading far too much into this.