Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Access Network Computers

• Please log in to reply

mrp2000

mrp2000

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, connected through a router. The dektop is connected via a CAT5 cable while the laptop connects wirelessly. Both use XP Pro. Both show up on Entire Network under My Network Places, however, when I try to click on the other computer, access is denied either way. I have tried running Network Setup Wizard several times, tried Add Network Place several times, and tried Map Network Drive several times. All failed to resolve the issue. I had computers sharing perfectly at one time but it's no longer working. System Restore is not much help because I don't know how long I've had this problem, could be weeks or months. I'm at my wits end. Can anybody help?

Edited by mrp2000, 07 July 2008 - 01:22 PM.

Advertisements

mrp2000

mrp2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, I found a solution. I actually found this on another discussion forum (Lockergnome) so I'll give them due credit but I will reiterate the solution here for simplicity.

On the computer which cannot be accessed:
Click on the START menu and select RUN.
Type REGEDIT and select OK.
Go to LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Lsa.
Right-click on "RestrictAnonymous" and select Modify (do not to select "RestrictAnonymousSAM").
Change the value to 0 (instead of 1 or 2), the value should be REG_DWORD, and Hexadecimal Base (these are the factory-default settings for this key).
Restart computer.

Edited by mrp2000, 07 July 2008 - 12:11 PM.