Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP stuck at logo boot screen

• Please log in to reply

hydrolist

hydrolist

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, thanks guys for paying this thread some attention. I'd appreciate any help with this challenge. :)

I'll keep this simple and straight to the point.

First:

-I got a start up error:

Windows\System32\Config\System Corrupt or Missing

I then searched the internet I tried this solution:
Microsoft Help Article

This didn't hep. I got to the third and final copy commands but it failed, giving me errors of 'files missing'.

Then:

I inserted my 'Advent Recovery' disk and initiated a 'Non-destructive Recovery' which replaced all my system files without delete my data.

I then got the error:

NTLDR is compressed

I fixed this by going into the recovery console (via an XP disk) and typing:

cd \
attrib -c ntldr
exit

Then:

I still got the '\system corrupt or missing' error on startup.

I then used 'option 3' from this website which I think basically loaded up settings from a previous restore point:

The text in red will be what you type and the black text will what the system outputs or what is put there by the system. READY, SET, GO.

C:\Windows>CD C:\system~1\_resto~1
C:\system~1\_resto~1\>dir

After you enter the DIR command and hit enter you will get a list of folders like such rp1, rp2, rp3, rp4, etc. etc. The "rp" part of the folder name denoting it's a Restore Point

What you'll want to do is find the 2nd highest numbered folder in that list. So, for instance, if it listed rp1 thru rp24 you'll want the rp23 folder. I'll use rp23 for the rest of this little fix just to keep things simple but substitute rp23 for whatever folder is the 2nd highest in the list on your pc.

Now, we have more commands..

C:\system~1\_resto~1>cd rp23

C:\system~1\_resto~1\rp23>cd snapshot

C:\system~1\_resto~1\rp23\snapshot>copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system (read below3)

Overwrite system [y,n]: y

1 file copied

C:\system~1\_resto~1\rp23\snapshot>exit (before typing exit, please remove your Windows XP CD from the CD Drive)

Now:

Computer loads but hangs on the windows XP boot screen.

And 'Restore to Last Known Working Config' doesn't work. It just hangs on the boot screen.

I could not access safe mode untill now. Regular Safe Mode hangs when installing 'components' - hangs when installing 'MP9'.
Safe Mode with commond script works.

So:

I now have the problomatic harddrive set as slave on this comp which is also Windows XP Home. So I am awaiting any suggestions you have to fix this.

Also, this may help. Just before I shut the PC when it was last working. I ran TuneUp utilities, I think the specific task was Registry Cleanup or something with 'Registry' in it.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Edited by hydrolist, 07 July 2008 - 02:45 PM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello hydrolist!

I would like to start out with a little something about Registry Cleaners.
Geeks to Go does not recommend running Registry Cleaners.
While most programs tell you that cleaning the registry of errors, make your PC run faster etc.
It doesn't actually give your PC a boost of performance.
I highly recommend you do not run registry cleaners as they can seriously damage your Operating System.

Now lets see what we can do to get the machine working again.
I recommend you get a CD of the same version of Windows and follow the steps in a post by Admin here:
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

This should replace all your system files like the other Recovery disk did.
Keep in mind that you need to re-install any patches after a Windows Repair.

Regards,
Olrik

hydrolist

hydrolist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hi, thanks for your reply.

I followed that, but there was no option to 'Repair' my existing OS. Simply to initiate a new installation by pressing 'C' to continue with it.

How can my HDD be badly damaged if I am able to easily browse its contents when its set as slave on another comp?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Can you remember what you did before you got you started getting the series of errors?
It's not your HDD being badly damage (or at least, I have no suspicion it is), it's your Operating System. (AKA, Windows)

Regards,
Olrik

hydrolist

hydrolist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hey Olrik.

the link you provided me with worked! I simply inserted the wrong cd (I was using XP Professional instead of Home).

It detected the existing installation and therefor repaired it.

However, now, I get the following error in place of the user account page:

"lsass.exe. system error".
When trying to update this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

something like that.
So close to geting my machine working! Any ideas what this could be?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
We can try one more thing.
Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

After this we might need to do a couple of other things.

Regards,
Olrik

hydrolist

hydrolist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
great!

But. Now my computer won't start! LOL

i was filding with the HDD yesturday taking it in and out and now it won't start up. When hit the power button, the fan turrns on and everything seems to be working but the monitor stays blank repeating 'no signal'.

The start button also doesn't respond when I hold it down for about 6-8seconds for it to shutdown. I have to manually hit the switch at the back of the tower near the power cord to turn the system off.

I was also fidling with the fan yesturday, the [bleep] thing is too loud and im thinking of replacing it. I undid one hook but then pushed it back into place thinking i shouldn't tamper with it - could this have possibly corrupted the processor?

Thanks for your help so far, I need to get this [bleep] thing fixed, especially since I have university work to complete!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
How much we'd like to, we can't actually take a look at your hardware.
We can only help you with the information you give us, the better details you give us the better we can help.

I can recommend a few things you can do to try and fix it though.

Checking the Cables
You've taken out your HDD which probably includes taking loose some cables.
Make sure the cables of everything in the PC is properly connected.
This includes the cables for the On/Off button.

Checking your Extension Cards
Since your monitor is giving you a "no signal", I suggest you make sure that the Graphics Card is properly installed.
Besides the Graphics Card, make sure you check all of your other extension cards too!

Just a few suggestions.
NOTE: Please make sure you touch the side of the case to release the static charge currently on you before you touch any parts.

Regards,
Olrik