Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues with file sharing over wireless network

• Please log in to reply

Angreal

Angreal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey there everyone.

Hoping you guys can give me a hand here and tell me what im missing or doing wrong...

Basically, theres 4 of us in a house and were hoping we can share files with each other. Weve SKY broadband (UK ISP) and they give you a netgear wireless router.
as far as i know, theres 2 people on XP and 2 on vista, all connecting wirelessly to the wireless router for internet access

What I want to know is how to allow us all to share folders with each other...we can do the sharing part so the files are visible on our own machines. however, we cannot see each others machines.

What else on top of all joining the same workgroup do we need to do to be able to see each others shared folders?

Ive tried using the wireless network for home or small office set up wizard in XP but get to the stage asking me to shove a flash drive in the back on my router. there are no usb ports on my router so I cannot do it this way...Does this stop it being possible?

kinda outta ideas

oh and ive read the big long sticky in this forum but there were stages in it i seemed unable to complete

Any help is much appreciated

cheers

Alex

Edited by Angreal, 07 July 2008 - 03:09 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Right-click on what you want to share and then choose Sharing and Security. Computers don't need to be in the same workgroup but it helps.
Disregard the network wizard - you don't need it.
Also remember firewalls are the most likely culprit to interfere with file sharing over a network.