Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Glitchy, crashy, full of bugs, and overall just a bad computer

• Please log in to reply

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Hello

Alright, well this is my situation.
A couple of months ago i bought an AGP video card to upgrade from my previous, an Nvidia 7800 gs agp.

Now i've noticed ever since then, these things usually happen:

Computer randomly restarts
Computer randomly freezes

It wasn't frequent at first, maybe it would happen after 4-5 hours of the computer being left on outright, but it has started happening so much more and it is really annoying.

What I've noticed:

85% of the time crashes happen while gaming, usually more graphically intense games such as COD4 as opposed to Diablo 2, it rarely happens when I play d2, but instead it just freezes sometimes, other times its just random crashes/freezes while browsing the web.

50% of the time, the computer freezes while watching videos/movies (youtube/veoh) etc

The crashes happen ALOT more frequently, when i have my PCI sound card plugged into the computer. When i have it removed, it takes longer to crash/freeze

My computer:

P4 2.8 ghz
1 gb ram
Nvidia 7800 GS AGP
random brand Power supply (Not sure how many W)

What i have tried:

Virus scanning/spyware removal, nothing found
Computer is left open with a table fan next to it to try to reduce heating, no avail

I need help to what could be causing this and how to fix it.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Freezes are usually associated with running out of memory in the computer so it has to use the swap file. If possible you need to see if more memory can be added.

Another thing you might do is to download speed fan and see if it can tell you what your voltages on the 5 volt and 12 volt lines are. Low voltages here can cause freeze's and restarts. A computer that was doing this to me had 11.73 volts on the 12 volt line. Also a customer computer had 4.78 volts on the 5 volt line that caused the cdrom drive to slow down which caused freezing while playing a game that needed the cd in the drive. What i am saying here is a good power supply may fix your problem. My personal favorite power supplies are the enermax PS's.

You might get by with this one.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817194011

SRX660