Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can only view Google no other website or anything involving internet

• Please log in to reply

tpsnyder88

tpsnyder88

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm doing this for a friend. I have used you guys before. She is running Windows XP Home with Verizon FiOS. I have used Ad aware and her built in virus software. I don't know if this problem requires a hijak this log. I performed one with hijak this that I put on a flash drive, and brought to her house. Her computer itself runs fine. Google is no problem, but she cannot view any other website. Its like she is connected but the internet is not pulling up any site. She often gets the status bubble at the bottom saying there is limited or no connectivity. Verizon has come to her house, plugged in their computers and said her router/modem is fine. She is directly connected to the router, no WiFi. If there is anything I forgot to mention, let me know via email e-mail removed.

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 09 July 2008 - 06:06 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello tpsnyder88...

Did this start just recently?

Is Zone Alarm installed on the machine?

There is a recent Windows update that will cause problems like this one if Zone Alarm in on the machine.

(You might want to have this rig checked for malware once we've looked at a couple of things.)

wannabe1

tpsnyder88

tpsnyder88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Her computer has been unusable for about 2-3 weeks now, I just started to help her yesterday. What is Zone alarm. The computer was custom built by her ex boyfriend.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Zone Alarm is a third party firewall. It's a good product, but with it installed, the update messes up internet connectivity.

Have you tried repairing the connection by right clicking on the system tray icon and choosing "Repair"?

Have you tried renewing the connection using a command session?

*wannabe1 thinks he's asking a lot of questions

tpsnyder88

tpsnyder88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have tried repairing the connection, didn't work. Never done the other thing. How do I do it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type cmd and click "Ok".

In the command session window that opens, type ipconfig /release and press "Enter". (Note the space in the command.)
Type ipconfig /renew and press "Enter". (Note the space in the command.)

Give it time to complete, then type exit and press "Enter".

Try the connection.